Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

After putting in gas car hesitates to start

Reactions
Hey all,
I've run into an issue lately and am hoping someone can shed some light into the matter.
For the past 4 times, putting 93 octane gas (filling up about 50-75% of the tank), when I start the car, it struggles to turn on. It takes about 3 to 5 seconds for the car to turn over and actually start. It sounds and acts as if the battery is almost dead trying to turn over.
This only happens when I put gas and start the car right after.
It doesn't happen on cold starts or any other time?
It never did this before the last 4 times, either.
Any idea here as to what the issue is?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Sounds like the evap purge valve. Easy to replace if that’s what it is.

Reactions
My old 2009 Pontiac G8 had the same problem, and it was the evap purge valve. Cheap part, 10 min fix with some light swearing. Not sure where it is on these Fords but the problem sounds eerily similar, so I would agree with the guy above who mentioned it

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
My old 2009 Pontiac G8 had the same problem, and it was the evap purge valve. Cheap part, 10 min fix with some light swearing. Not sure where it is on these Fords but the problem sounds eerily similar, so I would agree with the guy above who mentioned it
Thank you. Sounds cheap and easy so that's good!

hbalek

Reactions
Thank you. Sounds cheap and easy so that's good!
This happened to my 2013 MKZ. I never got it fixed. It was intermittent and didn't have a problem starting rather it felt like it was stalling out at the first few stops driving then idling. After a mile or 2 it was normal. I think the evap purge valve gets damaged if you overfill the gas tank, which is what I know I did a few times.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
This happened to my 2013 MKZ. I never got it fixed. It was intermittent and didn't have a problem starting rather it felt like it was stalling out at the first few stops driving then idling. After a mile or 2 it was normal. I think the evap purge valve gets damaged if you overfill the gas tank, which is what I know I did a few times.
I hardly ever fill up...gas is so expensive lol. I typically run with 50-75% full gas tank.
Tks for the feedback. Sounds like this purge valve is cheap and easy to install so I might just fix it.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I think the evap purge valve gets damaged if you overfill the gas tank
Once the pump shuts off, I stop . So many people gassing up don"t.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Picked up the valve today from the dealership. $120 CAD.
Guy gave me a deal because the system had incorrect info, and I gave him the part # lol.
Mechanic said it's a 1-2hr job, and apparently, he has to reset the ECU. I told him I'm tuned on 93 JDM tune and can revert back to stock if he has to touch the ECU to reset it.
He also said he can install the valve and leave the ecu untouched and see if it works that way.
Thoughts?

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
You really don't have to shut your vehicle off when putting gas in it, just saying, until you get it fixed. Although the ST is mostly used by the wife, I don't typically shut my vehicles off when fueling up. I know some of you will knock me for this, but I will take the criticism.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Should be fine just replacing the valve and not resetting the ecu, if you have a check engine light now, after replacing the valve it should turn off after a few drive cycles. I just used my tuner to reset and clear the code when I replaced mine

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
Changed the purge valve and didn't touch the ecu and it worked like a charm!
Tks everyone as always for the great info.

Reactions
Changed the purge valve and didn't touch the ecu and it worked like a charm!
Tks everyone as always for the great info.
Out of curiosity, where was it on the car and how long did it take to do? That 1-2 hour quote from the tech left me scratching my head lol

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Out of curiosity, where was it on the car and how long did it take to do? That 1-2 hour quote from the tech left me scratching my head lol
Approx. 1hr to do.
Here's a photo someone sent with arrows pointing to what needs to be removed.
Tks.

Attachments

SFD295

Reactions
I have the same issue. You should've gotten some codes and a MIL after one or two trips. I got P0496 and P0456, both related to the EVAP system. It's now a long crank after getting fuel and sometimes even stalls. But runs fine after that.

I haven't fixed it yet, I still have warranty coverage so I may just have the dealer do it. I let my girlfriend take my car and she filled it with gas. Well apparently she topped it off once full. And there you go. Don't top off.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
I have the same issue. You should've gotten some codes and a MIL after one or two trips. I got P0496 and P0456, both related to the EVAP system. It's now a long crank after getting fuel and sometimes even stalls. But runs fine after that.

I haven't fixed it yet, I still have warranty coverage so I may just have the dealer do it. I let my girlfriend take my car and she filled it with gas. Well apparently she topped it off once full. And there you go. Don't top off.
Yes, those are the codes it throws which is related to the evap purge valve.
Tks.