Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

After Camera Recall

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
So almost two years without a dealer visit and then BAM, the blue screen of death keeps popping up. I elect to get the recall to hopefully fix the issue and get the drivers side window switch replaced, the chrome was starting to cut my finger. Today while backing into the garage the famous Blue Screen of death and Back Up assist not available. Time for another attempt to fix the camera. Didn't even bring up the ST is possessed. Lock the left rear door and the tailgate goes up, close the tailgate and the doors unlock, dealer can't replicate but I can every time. Looks like the electronic gremlins are showing up. I'll see what the dealer has to say about the camera, I'll take a picture of the screen so I don't get, "Can't replicate the issue". I wonder if getting waterboarded is more fun than going to the dealer?

Reactions
So almost two years without a dealer visit and then BAM, the blue screen of death keeps popping up. I elect to get the recall to hopefully fix the issue and get the drivers side window switch replaced, the chrome was starting to cut my finger. Today while backing into the garage the famous Blue Screen of death and Back Up assist not available. Time for another attempt to fix the camera. Didn't even bring up the ST is possessed. Lock the left rear door and the tailgate goes up, close the tailgate and the doors unlock, dealer can't replicate but I can every time. Looks like the electronic gremlins are showing up. I'll see what the dealer has to say about the camera, I'll take a picture of the screen so I don't get, "Can't replicate the issue". I wonder if getting waterboarded is more fun than going to the dealer?
Thought I was the only one that had the chrome problem with the driver side window switch

OP

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
Common problem with the switch. Glad the dealer had one and took care of it with the recall so I didn't need a second trip. I read on here a lot of people change the switches themselves.
I see you are in VA Beach. Used to live there for 20 years, retired and move back to the Midwest. Used to live off Rosemont and Holland road.

Reactions
Regarding the possessed tailgate. Do yourself a favor and disconnect the foot motion sensor. I had the exact same issue, which the dealership could not replicate. I called out their BS and they in turn had no reasonable explanation/fix. Went to another dealership, same experience. There is a detailed thread on this forum somewhere that provides a step by step process of doing this. I did it and have not had an issue since.

GTchick

Reactions
Regarding the possessed tailgate. Do yourself a favor and disconnect the foot motion sensor. I had the exact same issue, which the dealership could not replicate. I called out their BS and they in turn had no reasonable explanation/fix. Went to another dealership, same experience. There is a detailed thread on this forum somewhere that provides a step by step process of doing this. I did it and have not had an issue since.
I specifically came here to see if I was the only one with a possessed vehicle. I'll have to look into the other thread. Interestingly, early on in my ownership, they had to replace BOTH foot motion sensors. I couldn't believe the amount of crap they had to remove to get to them. The entire back of the vehicle. AFTER they were replaced, the rear hatch started opening on it's own. I suggested the issue has to do with the foot sensors and they basically laughed at me.

Initially, I only had this happen when I lock the driver's side back door. Because I walk towards the front of the vehicle after locking my door, I didn't even notice it the first couple of times it happened. A co-worker called me and asked if I was moving things to/from my car, because my hatch was open. Thankfully none of the homeless that hang out around my office stumbled upon the $15,000 in camera/scope equipment I had in there. I tried to wash it recently at the dealership's DIY wash and the hatch kept opening repeatedly, even when I wasn't spraying the back of the car.

The car is at the dealer right now for other recall work AND to "try" to find the issue with the rear hatch....again.

GTchick

Reactions
Thank you for validating me on two points! I, too, thought I was the only one with the issue with the sharp driver's window switches. I swear, I thought I was imagining it. I'm a tad OCD and things like that are one of my problems, so I've tried to ignore it. I feel a bit better knowing that both my possessed tailgate AND the window switches aren't figments of my imagination! My tailgate does also malfunction when locking the left rear door, and recently, numerous times while trying to wash it, especially when spraying that door.

I'm curious.....do you also have issues with your "tablet" display being on and looking fine, but not responding to any of your inputs? I found a fix for it. Never had the blue screen of death...not yet anyway.

Also, of note, they were supposed to be doing my rear camera update, but per the service advisor, as of yesterday at noon, Ford has halted that repair due to a virus in the software update. :rolleyes:

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My dealer has a general rule, they follow Ford's recommendation 2 times, and the 3rd time they'll replace every part they can. They performed both recalls on the camera, and when I got the blue screen again they replaced the camera. No issues since. Ask them to just replace it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
per the service advisor, as of yesterday at noon, Ford has halted that repair due to a virus in the software update. :rolleyes:
So, those of us who have had the update now have a virus? o_O

OP

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #9
If mine had a virus it might fix a few of the electronic gremlins creeping in. Getting tired of surprises from the ST. Now the memory seat doesn't like to work. It picks random settings to adjust to when I start the ST. Yesterday morning I was almost all the way back, after work I was wearing the steering wheel in my belly. At least I didn't have the recall for the parking brake set, I would have felt so safe knowing when the bolts break the truck won't roll away.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Anybody have this stuff going on? Just started today. Blue halos on all the sync pages and green pixelating on front and rear and 360 cam views.

20230317_104645.jpg 20230317_104709.jpg

Reactions
I specifically came here to see if I was the only one with a possessed vehicle. I'll have to look into the other thread. Interestingly, early on in my ownership, they had to replace BOTH foot motion sensors. I couldn't believe the amount of crap they had to remove to get to them. The entire back of the vehicle. AFTER they were replaced, the rear hatch started opening on it's own. I suggested the issue has to do with the foot sensors and they basically laughed at me.

Initially, I only had this happen when I lock the driver's side back door. Because I walk towards the front of the vehicle after locking my door, I didn't even notice it the first couple of times it happened. A co-worker called me and asked if I was moving things to/from my car, because my hatch was open. Thankfully none of the homeless that hang out around my office stumbled upon the $15,000 in camera/scope equipment I had in there. I tried to wash it recently at the dealership's DIY wash and the hatch kept opening repeatedly, even when I wasn't spraying the back of the car.

The car is at the dealer right now for other recall work AND to "try" to find the issue with the rear hatch....again.
https://www.explorerst.org/threads/...n-or-close-motion-feature-full-pictures.1938/

There ya go. Join those of us who killed that fuckin’ tailgate foot swipe thing and have lived happier lives ever since.

Sometimes putting things to death is the only option.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
What's that got to do with my screen issues?

JBStrums

Reactions
Anybody have this stuff going on? Just started today. Blue halos on all the sync pages and green pixelating on front and rear and 360 cam views.

View attachment 16966 View attachment 16967
I’ve definitely had this. A reboot or restart fixes it. Doesn’t happen often, I actually forgot about it. Wonder if it’s connected to the blue screen issue?

GTchick

Reactions
So, those of us who have had the update now have a virus? o_O
I can't say, but hopefully not everyone. They just told me they wouldn't do the recall work that I was scheduled for because of it.

Reactions
I can't say, but hopefully not everyone. They just told me they wouldn't do the recall work that I was scheduled for because of it.
That sucks. I’ve had the “Blue Screen of Doom” ‘fixed’ (once with each of the two recalls). Got the BSoD again yesterday. Also it started throwing codes not related to the rear camera at the same time. Yay :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
codes like those get thrown all the time in our vehicles.

OP

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #17
I spoke with my service rep and he told me Ford pulled the programming because it was not working. They are supposedly working on another update that we will have to get to get rid of the Blue Screen of Death, just like the blue oval.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

Where is your key fob when you are having issues with your rear hatch?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I spoke with my service rep and he told me Ford pulled the programming because it was not working. They are supposedly working on another update that we will have to get to get rid of the Blue Screen of Death, just like the blue oval.
I wonder when they’ll come up with an update that’ll break my camera, which has worked perfectly since day one.

Reactions
codes like those get thrown all the time in our vehicles.
I know… but it would be nice to know what causes them. Just bugs me. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk