Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

aFe Intake -vs- Whipple Intercooler -vs- Downpipe

OP
Stinger

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Thread Starter #21
Google says - The defouler will move the secondary O2 Sensor away from the direct flow of gasses in the catalytic converter which will trick the computer into thinking that there is still restrictions in the cat therefore keeping the Check Engine Light from coming on.
What is this “Google” thing you talk about?
LMAO

I know I should’ve googled it but it gives you guys a chance to show off your knowledge. I’m glad I asked the original question because I learned the difference between the 2 downpipes. I can make a better decision. I’m going with the SPD and I’m not putting it in :)

People’s responses all over this forum are very helpful as they’ve been there done that and know what works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F=MA

Reactions
SPD was the first to offer the downpipes but then folks started to have cracking issues with the SPD downpipes and that's why folks started looking for a better constructed alternative.

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
SPD was the first to offer the downpipes but then folks started to have cracking issues with the SPD downpipes and that's why folks started looking for a better constructed alternative.
Which Brett at FenFab provides. His welds are gorgeous.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That was a small run, all were replaced and there have been no ongoing issues. I’ve had SPD DP’s in for probably a year and 20K+ miles with zero issues.

Reactions
I have parts sitting in the garage waiting to go on. I haven’t pulled the trigger on DP but already have the SPD saved and ready to buy. Off topic but I haven’t committed due to all the trans problems I hear about. Do you guys all have these issues and just said F$&@ it or are your trucks running fine?

Reactions
I have SPD dp's and no issues mind you they've only been on for about a month or so.

Reactions
I have SPD dp's and no issues mind you they've only been on for about a month or so.
What I meant was did you drive your truck a certain distance to ensure no transmission failures before buying/installing upgrades to make sure it wasn’t a waste of money on a lemon?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
What I meant was did you drive your truck a certain distance to ensure no transmission failures before buying/installing upgrades to make sure it wasn’t a waste of money on a lemon?
Simple solution. Drive your vehicle for 5000 miles or so. Trans will be well broken in....or broken. Once it's broken in, you can start doing upgrades. Understand, no one can give you guarantees and there aren't that many transmission failures. Sites like this tend to magnify problems when there are tens of thousands of vehicles without any problems.

Reactions
Simple solution. Drive your vehicle for 5000 miles or so. Trans will be well broken in....or broken. Once it's broken in, you can start doing upgrades. Understand, no one can give you guarantees and there aren't that many transmission failures. Sites like this tend to magnify problems when there are tens of thousands of vehicles without any problems.
Perfect. I’ll definitely do that. Does anyone here know if all the 2021 will fit the 2022? I ordered all my parts in August with an order for a 2021 and in September Ford sent me confirmation they were building me a 2022. I really don’t wanna return this stuff.

Reactions
Yes. I had about 20,000km on the ST before putting the dp's on.

Reactions
Ok.....here's a dumb question about thr down pipes. Although they are catted with high flow cats, are you getting any gas smell inside the Explorer from them? I know that no one has had to deal with this yet out here in SoCal, but do you think that either of the two offerings would pass the visual out here? I don't think Fenfabs will pass if you're having to add defoulers. I just sold a car that would not pass any part of California's smog process. I'm over that whole scene now.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Unless they put the car on a lift and look under it they’ll never know anything changed. From a strictly visual standpoint…you can’t see them otherwise.

Reactions
Unless they put the car on a lift and look under it they’ll never know anything changed. From a strictly visual standpoint…you can’t see them otherwise.
Ok, thanks. They caught me using mirrors on a different car with the defoulers at the back of the cats, that's why I ask. What about gad smell inside the car?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Just got a 22 ST over the weekend and I'm loving this beast. the Whipple Intercooler is definitely my very first mod that I'll be doing to it!

Zim

Reactions
The whipper intercooler is great but I have others things I’d rather spend 1,000 on. I don’t run my ST hard consistently and haven’t noticed any issues when I do a pull so it’s not worth it to me atm. Maybe down the road.

Intake exhaust and tune are fine for a bad ass daily driver. Imo.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
The whipper intercooler is great but I have others things I’d rather spend 1,000 on. I don’t run my ST hard consistently and haven’t noticed any issues when I do a pull so it’s not worth it to me atm. Maybe down the road.

Intake exhaust and tune are fine for a bad ass daily driver. Imo.
I mean, you're not wrong. Stock is fun AF to drive already in Sport mode lol

The most I've spent on a tune was about $600 (Unleashed Tuning for my 17 Explorer Sport) which was the power package that included spark plugs, 2.5 MAP sensor and thermostat. I just checked ZFG and it's $1K which is A LOT for a tune. However, based on everyones feedback the tune from ZFG is worth the money.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I mean, you're not wrong. Stock is fun AF to drive already in Sport mode lol

The most I've spent on a tune was about $600 (Unleashed Tuning for my 17 Explorer Sport) which was the power package that included spark plugs, 2.5 MAP sensor and thermostat. I just checked ZFG and it's $1K which is A LOT for a tune. However, based on everyones feedback the tune from ZFG is worth the money.
It is worth the money…but you won’t get all you paid for with the stock IC. The computer starts pulling timing pretty quickly when it gets hot. 0-60 runs will be the same more or less but 1/4 mile times will suffer with the oem IC.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
It is worth the money…but you won’t get all you paid for with the stock IC. The computer starts pulling timing pretty quickly when it gets hot. 0-60 runs will be the same more or less but 1/4 mile times will suffer with the oem IC.
Thanks for the feedback, I'm trying to learn as I go here to make sure I pick the proper mod first before going down the list.

So to be clear, you're suggesting I upgrade the IC first before getting a tune correct?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
In terms of bang-for-the-buck, the tune is the best thing you can do. An upgraded intercooler will allow the tune to deliver results more consistently especially during hot weather. I'd do the tune first. Especially since you live in "the cities"!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
In terms of bang-for-the-buck, the tune is the best thing you can do. An upgraded intercooler will allow the tune to deliver results more consistently especially during hot weather. I'd do the tune first. Especially since you live in "the cities"!
Sounds good, just doing some research on which tune I want. Defintiely going with a 93 oct tune but ZFG wants $1k for the HP Tuner and tune which is a bit extreme for me at least for a tune. I may just go with Unleashed since I already have the BDX Unleashed REV-X Custom Tuner.