Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

aFe front sway bar review?

Reactions
What is your experience with their front sway bar?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Outside of the guy with the test car I haven’t even seen anyone install one yet. And I hope they send some info on setting up big adjustable bars or people are gonna start making their cars go straight instead of turn.

92onward

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
I have it at my house uninstalled still, I can have someone take pictures of the instructions on how to install it if you’re interested in that?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I had the aFe front sway bar installed today, which has only increased the fun factor of driving my ST. The car feels more grounded, and turning on windy roads is more enjoyable. I have the Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda strut tower brace, and Michelin Pilot Sport tires installed, so imagine ALL that helps. I'd be curious about anyone's experience with upgraded sway bars and lowering springs.

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
I have the Steeda on the rear. When I heard that AFE was doing a front sway bar I called Steeda to see if they would be doing one as well, and was told "no, as it wasn't needed" ....
at least according to Steeda.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
I had the aFe front sway bar installed several weeks back and it has increased the handling dynamics dramatically. Steeda lowering springs are next. The car is more predictable around turns. All personal preference, but the increased handling is sweet.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I've installed mine last weekend and notice a difference in the cornering... the stock one is a flimsy stamped steal that you can twist with your hands with very VERY little force... the most, the stock on only keeps the distance at the top of the towers from stretching wider... but twisting, the stock does NOTHING. The aFe strut tower brace is nice and STRONG and thick steal welded to the tubes and the gussets are nice, welds are quality. You will see alot of people here saying the stock is all you need, but I'd like to see some slow motion videos of the stock bar and truck cornering through a slalom course and see the strong aFe one.... It would be interested to see if you can see the flexing and twisting of the stock.

Only one complaint... that god awful orange logo with silver bar. My ST is Black on Black with red accents. So I'm going to re-paint it black and paint the orange logo behind bar Red. So it will match my ST perfect.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
First off…you’re talking about the strut bar…not the swaybar this thread is about.
2nd…I’d suggest finding @TMac post about the strut bars.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I've installed mine last weekend and notice a difference in the cornering... the stock one is a flimsy stamped steal that you can twist with your hands with very VERY little force... the most, the stock on only keeps the distance at the top of the towers from stretching wider... but twisting, the stock does NOTHING. .
Following up on @UNBROKEN 's comment, here is a link to my post on the subject. You're right, the stock brace is not of much use- nor is it meant to be. It may have some minimal ability in tension (strut towers moving apart), even less than the aftermarket versions in compression (strut towers moving towards each other), but I haven't seen an aftermarket version yet that would make a real difference in cornering situations- because the stock setup without it is already incredible rigid. It's probably there due to the marketing department, not the engineering department.

https://www.explorerst.org/threads/new-afe-strut-tower-brace.3787/post-60141

Last edited: