Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Advice Needed :-)

mramella

Reactions
Hello,

I'm about to purchase a new 2022 ST, and would like to increase the HP soon after purchase. Couple of questions come to mind:

1. Should I delay increasing the HP until a certain mileage, so that the engine has time to break-in?

2. Any recommendations for a simple tuner that I could install myself? Seems like there are a lot of options out there... Not sure which one to go with...

3. How much additional HP should I expect with a simple tuner? I'm not looking to make any other mods at this time, outside of a tuner. I'd like to add ~100 HP, if possible.

Apologies if these questions have already been asked. I combed the forum, and the more I read, the more it seems I need some advice :).

Thank you!

Reactions
I went with gearhead since I already had an sct device and used them on previous vehicle. Stock the best I could manage was a 13.76 1/4 mile on dragy, after tune the very first run I managed a 12.65. Not sure how many hp that works out to but it was a noticeable difference.

I think the majority of others tuning this platform use HP tuners. I don't have any background with that, but if you do a youtube search for "how to load a tune with HP tuners" there are a bunch of videos that will show you step by step just how easy it is.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Everyone on here will chime in with their opinion, but I think the general consensus of THIS forum is the following:

Hello,

I'm about to purchase a new 2022 ST, and would like to increase the HP soon after purchase. Couple of questions come to mind:

1. Should I delay increasing the HP until a certain mileage, so that the engine has time to break-in?
The ECM "protects" the engine/trans until 500miles with some sort of throttle/rpm restriction. I don't know what it is, but I do know that my vehicle definitely started shifting sharper and revving higher before shifting after about 500-1000 miles. I would wait for any tuning until after that.

2. Any recommendations for a simple tuner that I could install myself? Seems like there are a lot of options out there... Not sure which one to go with...
HPTuners is the medium of choice and the RTD device is the device of choice. Order up a tune from ZFG, Gearhead, or PBD (in order of forum preference) and you should be set.

3. How much additional HP should I expect with a simple tuner? I'm not looking to make any other mods at this time, outside of a tuner. I'd like to add ~100 HP, if possible.
@93 octane, ~90HP I think is the general consensus for a ZFG tune and those are also generally believed to be the ones getting the most out of the platform. E50 will get you more if you are in an area with easy access to E85 and want to mix your own fuel.

Apologies if these questions have already been asked. I combed the forum, and the more I read, the more it seems I need some advice :).
Definitely keep reading. There is ALOT of info. All of the questions I answered above have been answered to one extent or another several times.

Thank you!

Catch22

Reactions
Thanks for all the info, Was looking over the forums and going to ask the same questions @zdubyadubya Ty for the info. I did post about this, but this section seems more active. Going to purchase a ST tomorrow hopefully and I was curious what others have to say that they wish they would of looked for before buying their car used. Sorry to thread jack, just saw this thread about "1 bolt vs 2 bolt "and it made me a bit nervous about purchasing and wanting to tune the car.