Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Adaptive Cruise Control

Reactions
When using adaptive cruise control does your brake lights come on automatically

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I asked that question at the ST Experience. They answered that WHENEVER the brakes are applied, the lights come on.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yeah they have to. That would be extremely dangerous if they didn’t.

Reactions
a little off topic, does regular cruise use brake to return to previous speed when you override with acceleration? I hate that if it does, whenever other people se brake lights on interstate they freak

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Not sure about that. But for sure it uses the brakes when the highway speed limit goes from 55 to 45.

Reactions
I used the adaptive cruise control for a road trip from MN to NJ most of it was over night when ever I came up a truck or speed limit change it would use engine braking to slow down until I turned my turn signal on the it would accelerate back up to speed to pass the other vehicle. I never saw the brake lights come on when the vehicle slowed down it never really need the brakes cause it "saw" the vehicle in front of me about 175-200 ft. in front of me and I didn't have it set more than 10-15 above the speed limit so slowing down it just reduced the throttle to slow down slightly but not enough that the bakes were needed and 90% of the time there was no one behind me just lot of trucks that I passed.