Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Adaptive Cruise Control STEERING WHEEL disappeared

KegsBdry

Reactions
There is a button on the steering wheel that shows the "steering wheel with two lines (lanes) on either side." During adaptive cruise control, with this button enabled, the vehicle will steer itself to stay within your lane.

When I drive on narrow country roads, I typically disable this button. Due to the annoyance of it disabling itself. My guess is the lines on either side of the lane are too narrow. But when I get to the highway, I re-enable this button. The problem is, the button fails to work. I can push this button a hundred times, and nothing happens. I tried turning off the vehicle when at stop lights, when filling up with gas, and nothing seems to work. The steering wheel icon will not show up on the dashboard. The lane alert shows up from the button on the blinker bar, but not the steering wheel icon on the dashboard.

The last time this happened, I read in the manual that if the brakes get hot, this feature may keep itself disabled. I waited a couple hours and test drove the vehicle to find the button was available to me again. So I thought nothing of it.

But I just drove back from a long drive (it worked on the way there) and the button was not available the entire drive back. Quite annoying...

Anybody have ideas? I'd rather not pull the power on the battery, for I do not think that would be a long-term fix.

Reactions
The steering wheel icon only appears when Active Cruise Control is on and active, and you have that feature turned on. If ACC isn’t on, all you’ll get is Lane Departure Warning and that’s the two lines with no steering wheel and that gets activated by the button on the turn signal lever.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
The steering wheel icon only appears when Active Cruise Control is on and active, and you have that feature turned on. If ACC isn’t on, all you’ll get is Lane Departure Warning and that’s the two lines with no steering wheel and that gets activated by the button on the turn signal lever.
I should have been more clear. I did have ACC on & auto steering activated. I turned the auto steering button off but could not it it to turn back on later. I left the ACC running.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I found this in the manual, this may answer my question. I'll drive my vehicle to see if it's all cleared up.

If true, I wonder how long it takes between key cycles to reset (or become available again)?

2020-06-08 10_41_11-Window.png

Reactions
Now I’m really curious. My ST is parked in the garage all week (have a company vehicle) plus I’m out of town. I’ll check it out this weekend.

OP
KegsBdry

KegsBdry

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Drove my vehicle to an appointment and the Auto Steering icon became available again. After driving on some country roads again, it disabled itself (again). I had to cycle the vehicle on/off to get the Auto Steering back in Active Cruise Control.

Ok, lesson learned. No Active Cruise Control (with Auto Steering enabled) on country roads.

ddanwatt

Reactions
I found this in the manual, this may answer my question. I'll drive my vehicle to see if it's all cleared up.

If true, I wonder how long it takes between key cycles to reset (or become available again)?

View attachment 949
Yep, got to keep providing some steering input so it knows you hands are on the wheel.

Reactions
Hey, I live in a rural area and have notice these features do not work if the roadway is missing one or both of the pavement lane markings (or if they are badly worn). Inclement weather can also interfere. Safe travels. Ron

Reactions
Mine stopped working on a trip to Florida. Never came back. Check the setup on screen. Appears to be on. Button changes what the screen looks like so the button is working.