Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Active Grill Shutters

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Recently I had to have bodywork done to fix a cracked front bumper fascia.
While the front end was off, I also had the CV fabrication intercooler installed.
I asked the tech to remove the shutters, and as a result I am now getting a code every time I start the car.
The code comes back as being related to the active shutter control.
Since then, the car seems to not be hitting the boost it used to with a high of 17-17.5 lbs. as where before it was around 21.5 lbs.
Can the code be pulling power from the car all due to a control module?
I can clear it with the scanner but it comes right back the next start up.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Sounds like he left the little motor for the shutters unplugged. Check that first.

OP
ARC

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Thread Starter #3
Sounds like he left the little motor for the shutters unplugged. Check that first.
So im not crazy....it can actually pull power then.
I mean I was expecting it to run even better with the new intercooler, but seems slower.
Thanks.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I didn’t say it can pull power…I’m giving you a hint to what the root cause of the CEL probably is.

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Recently I had to have bodywork done to fix a cracked front bumper fascia.
While the front end was off, I also had the CV fabrication intercooler installed.
I asked the tech to remove the shutters, and as a result I am now getting a code every time I start the car.
The code comes back as being related to the active shutter control.
Since then, the car seems to not be hitting the boost it used to with a high of 17-17.5 lbs. as where before it was around 21.5 lbs.
Can the code be pulling power from the car all due to a control module?
I can clear it with the scanner but it comes right back the next start up.
On my 2022 when i removed the shutters and left the motor plugged in I still got a code. I had to re-install the shutters. Since the shutters act as their own upper and lower limit stops the the motor can not find their position when the shutters are not installed. You either have to lock them open in the tune so they don't move, or put them back in. I don't know if Ford changed something for the 2022 or its just that everyone that has removed them is tuned, because most tuners lock them open in the tune.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST
On my 2022 when i removed the shutters and left the motor plugged in I still got a code. I had to re-install the shutters. Since the shutters act as their own upper and lower limit stops the the motor can not find their position when the shutters are not installed. You either have to lock them open in the tune so they don't move, or put them back in. I don't know if Ford changed something for the 2022 or its just that everyone that has removed them is tuned, because most tuners lock them open in the tune.

odd. have the 22 as well and removed the shutters but left the motor plugged in and no codes. I do have the tune, so maybe you're onto something there.

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
odd. have the 22 as well and removed the shutters but left the motor plugged in and no codes. I do have the tune, so maybe you're onto something there.
yeah, when I took the front bumper, back off to reinstall the grill shutters, I confirmed the motor was still plugged in on mine, but I got a code, for I think it was “unable to find limits of grill shutters”.

OP
ARC

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Thread Starter #8
Yes, checked yesterday and the motor is still plugged in.
I have a SCT tuner attached that I use for additional gauges such as boost etc. so it is easy for me to clear codes.
I just want to make certain that the codes aren't pulling power as my boost levels seem to be 1 to 2 lbs lower now.
It may be the winter blend of fuel I have been buying?
I am running an E50 tune and I have t blend at fill up's.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I’ve seen others report a drop in boost after an intake, charge pipe, Intercooler install as well.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yes, checked yesterday and the motor is still plugged in.
I have a SCT tuner attached that I use for additional gauges such as boost etc. so it is easy for me to clear codes.
I just want to make certain that the codes aren't pulling power as my boost levels seem to be 1 to 2 lbs lower now.
It may be the winter blend of fuel I have been buying?
I am running an E50 tune and I have t blend at fill up's.
Boost pressure is just an indicator of air density. If you're running in colder weather, you need less boost to reach the same level of air density (mass air flow).

It's probably a contributing factor to why manufacturers did away with boost gauges for the most part. Customer bitches cuz it doesn't make as much boost in the winter as the summer.

OP
ARC

ARC

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST Black
Thread Starter #11
Boost pressure is just an indicator of air density. If you're running in colder weather, you need less boost to reach the same level of air density (mass air flow).

It's probably a contributing factor to why manufacturers did away with boost gauges for the most part. Customer bitches cuz it doesn't make as much boost in the winter as the summer.
I thought about that but wasn't sure.
Still new to the turbo game.
Not like my old fox body 5.0 's that's for sure.