Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Active grill shutters & Whipple IC

Reactions
Just heard my active grill shutters moving around at idle tonight and they are quite noisy. They creak like an old staircase! The truck is brand new so I'm wondering if maybe my newly installed Whipple iC is putting some extra pressure on the shroud? Complete conjecture though as i dont recall it going in too tightly. Anyone have a Whipple ic with this issue and/or heard of noisy shutters and the remedy therefore?

F=MA

Reactions
Bend the plastic shutters to remove. I removed all mine when I installed the Whipple IC. Never had any issue.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
For those that removed, what was the reason you did so? Did you notice something i didnt insofar as a fitment problem that would cause the shutters to moan & groan? Also, as eec78 mentnioned, what did you do with the check engine light? Clear via hpt?

Reactions
Any trick to avoid CEL or is that not a worry?
all you have to do is remove the assembly, then take the motor part out. plug the motor back in and ziptie it somewhere behind the bumper. that way the ECU can still control it, but it dont do anything.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
all you have to do is remove the assembly, then take the motor part out. plug the motor back in and ziptie it somewhere behind the bumper. that way the ECU can still control it, but it dont do anything.
i'm pretty sure there is an even easier method where you just pop the individual shutters out of the assembly and set them aside.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
i'm pretty sure there is an even easier method where you just pop the individual shutters out of the assembly and set them aside.
That’s what I did.

Reactions
Are there advantages of pulling them out or is it purely aesthetic? I do like the visibility behind the grill with them gone

Reactions
I believe that the only advantage of leaving them is a minor MPG boost.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I believe that the only advantage of leaving them is a minor MPG boost.
and it helps to get things warmed up quickly on especially cold mornings--but i dont think he would have much issue with that in Arizona

F=MA

Reactions
For those that removed, what was the reason you did so? Did you notice something i didnt insofar as a fitment problem that would cause the shutters to moan & groan? Also, as eec78 mentnioned, what did you do with the check engine light? Clear via hpt?
Someone said they close up at higher speed for better aerodynamics. If that's the case I do not want my shudders closing up and shutting off air flow to the intercooler during a virtual Wide Open Throttle event.

Reactions
and it helps to get things warmed up quickly on especially cold mornings--but i dont think he would have much issue with that in Arizona
Lol - no, not a concern I have here. Although it was in the 40s this morning....

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Did anyone notice them creaking prior to removal?

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
Soo the mystery creak/pop sound has been found and solved without removing the shutters. 1 of the shutters on the pass. side was rubbing against the Whipple IC bracket. Dremeled 1/8" off the back corner of the shutter and voila. Hope this helps somebody down the road having the same issue.

Reactions
Someone said they close up at higher speed for better aerodynamics. If that's the case I do not want my shudders closing up and shutting off air flow to the intercooler during a virtual Wide Open Throttle event.
they only shut at high speeds under cruising conditions. WOT opens them