Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Active Braking is DANGEROUS!

hbalek

Reactions
The fact(?) that your ExST doesn’t work the same as the other vehicles you’re familiar with doesn’t mean the ExST is a victim of “poor engineering” as it’s more likely those other vehicles meet that description. Your vehicle may have a problem that needs to be addressed or possibly the operator should review the operators manual for the various settings available for the ExST systems?

It could also be the operators driving habits that are incompatible with overall safety? Maybe a combination of all the above?

Ford is one of the very few oems who provide the user with many options in the safety nanny settings so an enthusiast is able to adjust the vehicle to their preferences rather than attempting to sell an idiot-proof one-size-fits-all vehicle. I much prefer the Ford design and engineering philosophy vs any other brand based on ~60 years of competition and routine driving in pretty much all brands and types of vehicles.

Obviously YMMV
I have learned to avoid the reverse brake assist deployment by backing up more carefully and slowly. As for the active braking/collision alert for forward collisions. It has scared the crap out of me on 2 or 3 occasions on the same stretch of road near my house. Coming around a turn, an alarm goes of and starts braking almost to a complete stop. Luckily no one was behind me on any of these occasions. On one occasion, I had a passenger next to me and he was startled as was I and we agreed that's really messed up. I have a feeling it detects a collision or obstacle to avoid when it's not there based on the right lighting, usually happens in late afternoon. It doesn't involve being affected by speed in my case as I use intelligent cruise control on that roadway to avoid getting speed camera tickets. I also agree with one of the previous posters who said they'd rather have the added safety of having the feature turned on despite these seldom but very scary instances of malfunction. I don't ever want to be so distracted that the system misses an actual collision threat and fails to brake in time causing a major collision or worse. Almost once a week or more, on the highway the brake gets tapped lightly usually when approaching a bridge underpass shadow. This also appears to be affected by lighting and shadows more than speed. Reverse brake assist has braked for me before when a shadow of a tree or bush in my driveway is seen as an obstacle.

Reactions
Do the brake lights come on when active braking engages?

Reactions
When in doubt, throttle out

Reactions
I also disabled it using Forscan, after my wife made a trip on the highway in blowing snow conditions. The active braking kept kicking on randomly, almost causing serious accidents several times due to the slick conditions.

Reactions
Vehicle
Sold after 6 months
I also disabled it using Forscan, after my wife made a trip on the highway in blowing snow conditions. The active braking kept kicking on randomly, almost causing serious accidents several times due to the slick conditions.
Side note, parking sensors go off for my left front tire when turning slowly in parking lots. Reminds me of a dog chasing its own tail. Definitely not well implemented various driver assistance features.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Just an FYI...

I just returned from the ST Experience and we tested the safety features. When emergency braking starts to activate (visual and audible on dash - before braking starts) ANY steering or brake input deactivates the emergency braking system.

So, if you steer slightly around someone slowing to turn in front of you it will deactivate.