Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

AC trouble shooting

EinTx

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
2020 ST. Bone stock.
Ive noticed in the last few days my ac will blow warm at at a stop light or while parked and only blow cool/cold air while moving.

its 100*+ here in texas the last week or so with no end in sight. What can I test myself before taking it in?

i did notice when parked after a 20mile drive, the radiator fan will not kick on which i assume would also impact the cooling thru the condenser . Could i have a simple fix as a failed fan?

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Does the 2020 have auto-stop/start? Is it activating?

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
2020 ST. Bone stock.
Ive noticed in the last few days my ac will blow warm at at a stop light or while parked and only blow cool/cold air while moving.

its 100*+ here in texas the last week or so with no end in sight. What can I test myself before taking it in?

i did notice when parked after a 20mile drive, the radiator fan will not kick on which i assume would also impact the cooling thru the condenser . Could i have a simple fix as a failed fan?
The most notable thing you mentioned is that the electric fan is not turning on. I had a cooling fan go out on another vehicle that caused the AC to blow warm while parked.

I think you are on the right track. Check to see if you are getting voltage to the fan, if you are then it is probably a bad fan. Is you compressor kicking on and off like it is supposed too? Might not be a bad idea to get the refrigerant checked.

OP
E

EinTx

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
Thread Starter #5
Does the 2020 have auto-stop/start? Is it activating?
It has auto stop start but i deactivated it to check if that would play a role, but no change with the ac cooling either way.

mathewD

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Mine has started doing this in a sense...but when not moving the air is not as cold...close to 100+ here in Mississippi...checked refrigerant and pressure is good...are these systems supposed to be putting out 40-50 degree air like I'm expecting? Just wondering if anyone else had issues with theirs...60k+ miles on mine

mathewD

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Update on mine…I’m an idiot I reckon…these new 1234 systems obviously aren’t as simple as the old 134 ones…took the plunge and had freon pulled and weighed and I was 1.25 pounds low…which is over half the system requires…got a small leak supposedly…fyi take it somewhere to get checked…I wasted more money trying to troubleshoot myself!