Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

AC already going...?

Reactions
A few days ago I turned on the AC and set it at 70...and it was HOT. I turned the fan all the way up, and hot air. I let it run for a minute or so just to see what happened...nothing but hot. I had to bring the temp down into the mid 60s before it started to get cold, I then brought it back up to 70, again hot. Have I just not noticed this before, or is this a problem? I can't imagine my AC compressor is already going, because, well, I never use it, and the car is 18 months old. Thermostat perhaps?

In any case, has anyone else experienced this? Taking it to the dealership next week.

Reactions
The AC compressor is either off or on, just like a residential unit. It shuts off when the pressure builds to a certain point and turns on when the pressure drops. The air temp coming out of the vents is regulated by mixing hot and cold air. If you feel the air getting cold when you turn it way down, your compressor is working fine. It’s either the thermostat that’s off or you haven’t let the internal and external temperature probes stabilize.

Grumpyste

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Just happened to my 2021 ST at just 3000 miles. Took it to the dealer, they said the refrigerant was low, refilled and added die to search for a leak. Just had another call that no leak could be identified and now they are asking Ford for further troubleshooting or compressor replacement. Apparently the compressor is not special on the ST so can be replaced quickly.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Same happened to me only 1 time but I only owned ST for 3 weeks. Although I turn AC on everyday all day. One time it blew warm to hot. I forget what I did to fix it. I think I just turned things on and off basically pushed a bunch of buttons and then it was cold again.
if it happens again I’ll be scared cuz I need AC lol.
post back what you find please.

Grumpyste

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Update: dealer called me this afternoon, Ford denied compressor replacement and advised that the evaporator unit needs to be inspected, which means removing the entire dashboard from the car! Unbelievable that Ford would think it’s ok to remove the entire dashboard of a 9 month old car with only 3000 miles on it!

I asked the dealer not to do that and let me drive it a while to see if it happens again as they could not find a leak. Will update again as things happen.

Reactions
Update: dealer called me this afternoon, Ford denied compressor replacement and advised that the evaporator unit needs to be inspected, which means removing the entire dashboard from the car! Unbelievable that Ford would think it’s ok to remove the entire dashboard of a 9 month old car with only 3000 miles on it!

I asked the dealer not to do that and let me drive it a while to see if it happens again as they could not find a leak. Will update again as things happen.
Any update on this? Mine goes in Wednesday for the same issue