Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

93 Octane Gas and Top Tier

Reactions
I'll look it up, thanks!
The app is only good if you know the ethanol content of the station you are using. It should say right on the pump what the range is.

For E30 I always used a 2 gallons of 93 to 1 gallon of e85 ratio. Where I get e85 it is guaranteed to be between 70-85% so regardless that puts me at 30-35 end result.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That’ll get you in the ballpark…but testing and calculating the blend is the only accurate way.
The station I use for E85 is very consistent at 85 but I still test it about every 2 weeks to verify. You have to factor in any ethanol in your 93 as well. The apps make it foolproof where guessing is just guessing and these don’t love too much ethanol on a 93 tune.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I haven’t ran back to back tests or anything but it’s a noticeable difference.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Forgive my ignorance here. We cannot run E85 alone. We should always mix using the app?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Forgive my ignorance here. We cannot run E85 alone. We should always mix using the app?
Without a tune, no.
With a tune for it, yes but it will make less power than an E50 tune because the stock fuel system can’t flow what’s needed.
With an aftermarket HPFP and tune, again yes.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Without a tune, no.
With a tune for it, yes but it will make less power than an E50 tune because the stock fuel system can’t flow what’s needed.
With an aftermarket HPFP and tune, again yes.
Thanks Unbroken - I do have the 93 Daily Driver Tune from ZFG or do I need a tune specifically for E85? I understand the stock fuel system is a limitation on full power. But if I can run it safely with my 93 tune from ZFG and get a few extra ponies when the E85 is available that is good information to have. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I'm learning.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
No…you need a specific E85 tune and that’s the only fuel you can run with that tune. You can mix as high as E30 on your 93 tune as is.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Mods: Maybe you could take the non "93 Octane Gas and Top Tier" posts and move them to another thread?

Things seemed to have gotten a little off track here. Lol