Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

93 Octane Gas and Top Tier

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Seems like not all of them are the same.

I submitted my data log review to Adam for my aFe Momentum GT intake and he mentioned that my fuel quality was a little low so he couldn't make any changes......

Do you guys recommend going with Top Tier gas ONLY? Based on their website the Shell's are Top Tier in my area and they're the only ones outside of BP that carry 93 octane.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
All name brand stations will be top tier. Independent stations use that term to let people know they have quality gas also.
A little fact about refineries, gas and gas stations. When a refinery produces the product very little is stored on site…it’s sent to large storage terminals and everyone’s gas is put into common storage tanks. When the trucks fill up the additive package for a particular brand is mixed at the loading rack. This happens nationwide. Basically in any given area most stations you fill up at…that gas came out of the same storage tank. Costco is the only place I’m aware of that mixes their additive package on site at their stores…but their gas came from the same tank everyone else’s did.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
The refineries all do this. they all make a generic gas to the same standard and it all goes into the same pipeline and when the local terminal pulls it out of the pipeline, it could be shell or bp or sunoco gas who knows. The gas does not become theirs until they mix in their additive package. It's done this way so each oil company does not have to have their own pipeline, they just share the same one.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Yes, and much of the quality of any given brand fuel is the sales network of tankers and stations. I’ve found across the eastern half of the US that the most consistent quality premium fuel comes from Exxon stations.

The storage tanks and pump maintenance at a given station has the largest effect of fuel quality from that station. I have a friend that works for an independent contractor company that maintains a whole list of regional stations’ tanks, pumps, and transfer equipment. He sends me photos of the disastrous conditions at many locations so I don’t buy fuel at that location unless he is contracted to clean it up to legal standards.

You just don’t know how much you don’t know until you see some of this crap. Most of the problems are covered by concrete and access covers, so the customers have no idea what’s in the fuel itself.

If you’re ever at a pump that’s running slower than normal/expected, stop and go somewhere else if possible. The pump runs slower as the pump filters get clogged with debris from the storage tanks. The pump will actually stop if the filter is too clogged up.

Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
I’m about ready to engage with Adam. Already have the module and credits, just need to supply baseline and start.
Everything but the charge pipe and CAI are installed ( fenDP into SPD mid into MRT h into stock suitcase. IC, dual port BOV,UPR)
In Canada I have the option of 94 octane with up to 10 ethanol ??? or 91 octane pure gasoline. What’s gonna give me the best bump? Soooo many annoying rice burners around here.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m about ready to engage with Adam. Already have the module and credits, just need to supply baseline and start.
Everything but the charge pipe and CAI are installed ( fenDP into SPD mid into MRT h into stock suitcase. IC, dual port BOV,UPR)
In Canada I have the option of 94 octane with up to 10 ethanol ??? or 91 octane pure gasoline. What’s gonna give me the best bump? Soooo many annoying rice burners around here.
Not even sure how that’s a question. E10 94 by a large margin. You should be looking for E10 in any fuel you run…the benefits of even a small amount of ethanol are well documented.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
... Do you guys recommend going with Top Tier gas ONLY? Based on their website the Shell's are Top Tier in my area and they're the only ones outside of BP that carry 93 octane.
I've been using nothing but Top Tier for a long time.

Reactions
If you’re in the Vancouver area and it Chevron 94, ask Adam to start out with a tune closer to 91 or 92. I struggled for years with that 94 before giving up and just running 91 Shell or getting gas state-side (Shell 92).

As mentioned, gas with a ethanol mix is better for performance. Run it if you can.

I’m now I’m Calgary and run Petro 94, which seems much more consistent with ethanol content and true octane level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TLST22
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Thanks for the response fellas.

At this point I'll just use up all the 93 in my tank from BP and pump from Shell and try again with Adam, hopefully it makes a difference so he can up my tune.

Reactions
Thanks for the response fellas.

At this point I'll just use up all the 93 in my tank from BP and pump from Shell and try again with Adam, hopefully it makes a difference so he can up my tune.
If you know how to look at the logs, you can compare spark advance and knock between your BP and Shell fuels. They will be key indicators if Adam can do any further adjustments.

OP
TLST22
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
If you know how to look at the logs, you can compare spark advance and knock between your BP and Shell fuels. They will be key indicators if Adam can do any further adjustments.

I unfortunately don't.

Reactions
There is a major misconception with ethanol in gasoline. It is actually VERY GOOD for this Ecoboost engine. Ethanol provides evaporative cooling in the combustion, which helps prevent knock and therefore prevents the engine from pulling timing and reducing power. I would never use ethanol free gasoline. So much is said about the decreased fuel economy, but I've been running e30 since November 2021 and haven't noticed much if any drop. I was running e50 from Aug to Nov and was getting around 16-17 mixed use (and a VERY heavy foot).

It is insane how much added power you get on the top end of the RPM band with e30, and even more with e50. The ST just keeps pulling hard up to redline.

OP
TLST22
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
There is a major misconception with ethanol in gasoline. It is actually VERY GOOD for this Ecoboost engine. Ethanol provides evaporative cooling in the combustion, which helps prevent knock and therefore prevents the engine from pulling timing and reducing power. I would never use ethanol free gasoline. So much is said about the decreased fuel economy, but I've been running e30 since November 2021 and haven't noticed much if any drop. I was running e50 from Aug to Nov and was getting around 16-17 mixed use (and a VERY heavy foot).

It is insane how much added power you get on the top end of the RPM band with e30, and even more with e50. The ST just keeps pulling hard up to redline.
Were you running e30 on your 93 tune or e50 tune?

Reactions
Were you running e30 on your 93 tune or e50 tune?
I'm running e30 on my ZFG 93 tune, and it works perfectly. Many others do it and Adam approves of it. This is convenient for me because when I'm in town I just mix to get e30, but if I need to travel somewhere I don't have "e85 pump anxiety" and can fill with straight 93 if needed and not worry about flashing. I do have the e50 tune in case I go back to the drag strip again.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I'm running e30 on my ZFG 93 tune, and it works perfectly. Many others do it and Adam approves of it. This is convenient for me because when I'm in town I just mix to get e30, but if I need to travel somewhere I don't have "e85 pump anxiety" and can fill with straight 93 if needed and not worry about flashing. I do have the e50 tune in case I go back to the drag strip again.
This is what I do as well. It’s nice to not worry about finding E85 every time I need gas.

OP
TLST22
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #17
Mind pointing me to how to properly mix E30? Googled it and would this be accurate?

1652448631962.png

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Everyone mixing fuel should have an app to work it out. The E85 Mix app is the best one I’ve used.

OP
TLST22
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #19
Everyone mixing fuel should have an app to work it out. The E85 Mix app is the best one I’ve used.
I'll look it up, thanks!

LokiWolf

Reactions
Same here!