Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

700-800 HP?

Reactions
Just curious, do you guys think you could get the ST to 700-800 HP? That way you'd completely destroy the trackhawk and similar...
I was checking out the dyno thread, and that was getting up to 580+ give or take...
Or, alternatively, what HP do you think you would need to take out a trackhawk?
Do you think the ST could get down to 3 second 0-60 time? That would be totally cool. I know some guys are hitting 3.5 or so, which makes me wonder if it is even possible to lose another 1/2 second.

Just wondering...

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Theo Remigio and Darren Norman would be the ones to watch out of all the ST’s on the road. Theo has now dipped into the 10’s.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
BTW I should mention, I'm not looking for my ST getting 700-800hp, I'm just wondering if the engine is capable to getting to that point. Or, what number do you think you'd need to beat a trackhawk, since I think the ST is lighter than the TH.
Or, do y'all think it is possible to hit 3 second 60 time?

Just a discussion.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Lots of us in the 3’s to 60. As far as 3 flat...that’s dependent on a persons budget.

Reactions
BTW I should mention, I'm not looking for my ST getting 700-800hp, I'm just wondering if the engine is capable to getting to that point. Or, what number do you think you'd need to beat a trackhawk, since I think the ST is lighter than the TH.

Just a discussion.
Great convo! I hope some of the ST experts step in and shed knowledge - still personally learning the platform, but can share my perspective from the Hellcat/Trackhawk angle which are virtually identical (sans AWD).

Judging by some videos floating around from Theo/Adam/ZFG, a bolt-on e50 tuned ST should edge out a stock Trackhawk. Most make 550-570 WHP stock - that drivetrain soaks up a bunch of power. The weight difference you mentioned definitely comes into play - they have 600+ lbs on an ST.

However, a properly modded Trackhawk (upper/lower pulley and e85) is a different story and make ~800+ WHP routinely on a stock blower.

Blackssr

Reactions

Just a discussion.
I have a 2018 Trackhawk. In stock form it destroys my 2021 Ford Explorer ST. However, I did see some YouTube videos of a tuned Explorer beating an SRT Durango and running neck and neck with the Trackhawk. I also have a 2018 Challenger Hellcat. I can tell you first hand the 6.2 Hemi supercharged in the hellcats is one of the best motors offered in production cars today. It literally never runs out of torque and the bottom end is ungodly. And never forget how wonderful that supercharger whine is under wide open throttle. For a car enthusiast it is literally music to your ears.

Blackssr

Reactions
I have a 2018 Trackhawk. In stock form it destroys my 2021 Ford Explorer ST. However, I did see some YouTube videos of a tuned Explorer beating an SRT Durango and running neck and neck with the Trackhawk. I also have a 2018 Challenger Hellcat. I can tell you first hand the 6.2 Hemi supercharged in the hellcats is one of the best motors offered in production cars today. It literally never runs out of torque and the bottom end is ungodly. And never forget how wonderful that supercharger whine is under wide open throttle. For a car enthusiast it is literally music to your ears.
And one last thing, the trackhawk is nearly double the price of the Explorer ST. If memory serves I paid $99,000 for my loaded white with blood red interior Track hawk. I paid $53, 000 for my loaded Explorer ST. Trust me there is not $50,000 more performance in the Jeep. CarMax offered me 77,000 on the Jeep, but we decided to keep it cuz the wife loves it and she has a lead foot just like I do.

Reactions
And one last thing, the trackhawk is nearly double the price of the Explorer ST. If memory serves I paid $99,000 for my loaded white with blood red interior Track hawk. I paid $53, 000 for my loaded Explorer ST. Trust me there is not $50,000 more performance in the Jeep. CarMax offered me 77,000 on the Jeep, but we decided to keep it cuz the wife loves it and she has a lead foot just like I do.
Any plans to mod your Explorer ST? Might be an ideal candidate to benchmark how much an ST needs to take down a TH.

Quite frankly and I hope I don't get flamed for this, I've always thought the ST was a better relative performance comp for some of the euro SUVs (e.g., x5 50i and/or M), given the displacement discrepancy when you factor in the blower with the TH/HC.

Either way, I admire both platforms (own both as well) and have grown even fonder of the ST after Adam/ZFG got his hands on it :)

Blackssr

Reactions
Just curious, do you guys think you could get the ST to 700-800 HP? That way you'd completely destroy the trackhawk and similar...
I was checking out the dyno thread, and that was getting up to 580+ give or take...
Or, alternatively, what HP do you think you would need to take out a trackhawk?
Do you think the ST could get down to 3 second 0-60 time? That would be totally cool. I know some guys are hitting 3.5 or so, which makes me wonder if it is even possible to lose another 1/2 second.

Just wondering...

I just spoke to Palm Beach tuning about their $650 tune for my 2021 ST. It is a 93 octane tune and adds 50 horsepower 50 ft pound of torque. I'll pay the extra hundred to get Dino info done. I only have 12 or 1500 miles on the truck so I really have to think about if I want to avoid the warranty that early. And I purchased the extended warranty by using my New York address and was able to get 5 years/ 60,000. $764 with $100 deductible. I usually trade my cars after 5 years anyway.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
I just spoke to Palm Beach tuning about their $650 tune for my 2021 ST. It is a 93 octane tune and adds 50 horsepower 50 ft pound of torque. I'll pay the extra hundred to get Dino info done. I only have 12 or 1500 miles on the truck so I really have to think about if I want to avoid the warranty that early. And I purchased the extended warranty by using my New York address and was able to get 5 years/ 60,000. $764 with $100 deductible. I usually trade my cars after 5 years anyway.
You could pick up 100hp with Adam's tune from ZFG racing. And, more if you wanted to go e50, or even e85...

Blackssr

Reactions
You could pick up 100hp with Adam's tune from ZFG racing. And, more if you wanted to go e50, or even e85...
Those numbers of horsepower and torque increase are measured at the wheels. I believe if measured at the crank it would increase about 80 to 90 horsepower. I have to look into it further. Here is there datasheet they sent me

Attachments

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Those numbers of horsepower and torque increase are measured at the wheels. I believe if measured at the crank it would increase about 80 to 90 horsepower. I have to look into it further. Here is there datasheet they sent me
ZFG numbers are also at the wheels.