Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

6.0 Powerstroke IC Picture Heavy!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I know people have been looking for a alternative/more cost effective intercooler and this one seems to be one of them. Keep in mind this isn't 100% simple bolt on but with some minimal work, it works and its a lot bigger over stock and even over the upgraded intercoolers offered.

Again this is for those not wanting to spend 700+ on a intercooler and don't mind doing some work.

Here are some pics if you guys have any questions please feel free to let me know. Only reason I went this route is
1. Oem ic I had was damaged since the vehicle was crashed when I got it.
2. NEW one was about 150 so I figured Id look for a decent upgrade for around that price so I test fitted different intercoolers I had and ordered.
3. Didnt feel like spending 700+ on a intercooler was worth it when i could get something cheaper that will do the same work..
Again my personal opinion on that.

All in I was about 120 - 140 this included the intercoolers I test fitted, couplers and clamps. Not the 3 inch 45 degree tube for the inlet.

The smaller oem looking intercooler was off a golf gti mk7 it was close but not wide enough.

2nd larger intercooler was off a powerstroke but a 08+

The bar and plate one i just had laying around and could of made work but wanted something bigger.

In comes the 6.0 powerstroke from the early 2000s. Can't remember the measurements off the top of my head but its enough for this ST with 3.25 inch inlet and 3 inch outlet.

Keep in mind the biggest thing or problem was moving the ac lines out the way. In this case slowly bending them out to the side.

Attachments

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I certainly admire your ambition but looking at your pics, $700 seems like a small price to pay. :whistle:

OP
JerryST89
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
I certainly admire your ambition but looking at your pics, $700 seems like a small price to pay. :whistle:
Eh I guess to each their own, but I'm happy with it. It works and performs well. Better or the same as a 700+ one? idk yet, once I get to modding more heavily ill do some data logging and compare it to others. But I don't see why it wouldn't bigger core over all with 3 inch inlets and outlets.
A IC is a IC as long as its doing its job it doesn't matter.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The stock 6.0 IC wasn’t all that good to begin with…that’s why we all swapped them when we were modding 6.0’s. lol
To be fair though it’s a definite improvement over the Explorer part.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I've gotta say, I'm pretty impressed at the work you put into that. Nothing I appreciate more than a bit of innovation, improvisation, and fabrication. Good job!

OP
JerryST89
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
The stock 6.0 IC wasn’t all that good to begin with…that’s why we all swapped them when we were modding 6.0’s. lol
To be fair though it’s a definite improvement over the Explorer part.
Oh I agree lol. But it was also on a 6.0 bigger turbo setup. But considering its bigger over the upgraded intercoolers out their I don't see it performing much under them if it does. Once I get the time ill take it to the track to do some data logging and get times and compare to those with the other upgraded intercoolers.

OP
JerryST89
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
I've gotta say, I'm pretty impressed at the work you put into that. Nothing I appreciate more than a bit of innovation, improvisation, and fabrication. Good job!
Thank you good sir. I understand this isn't for everyone but wanted to put it out their for anyone else that has been thinking of a alternative.