Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

4WD Fault Service Required

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Have you checked the AWD module under the drivers seat? Its grounded thru the case, may want to check mounting bolts and for a clean module the chassis connection.
I’ll take a look

cliballe

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer Platinum
Have you checked the AWD module under the drivers seat? Its grounded thru the case, may want to check mounting bolts and for a clean module the chassis connection.
Do you have a wiring diagram that verifies that is it grounded through the case because I am researching a similar issue on my mom's 2020 Platinum? She has the following codes: U102F, U0102, U0146, U011D, U0100, and U0418 accompanied by the following messages in the cluster "4WD Fault Service Required," "Hill Start Assist Not Available," "Service Advance Trac," "Pre-Collision Assist Not Available," and "Reverse Brake Assist Not Available See Manual" (when shifted into reverse). I found the Ford TSB 23-2061 which seems like it would repair a weak or broken ground wire on Pin 46 of the TCCM under the driver's seat. I'm not seeing a whole lot online about this TSB or the repairs, but it looks promising at least for this slew of codes and messages.

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
It was in a Ford troubleshooting guide for one of the trouble codes, That TSB looks as if they are adding a ground wire, please standby, checking schematics, the TSB, and trouble codes.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
nice info WaferTech. It kind of corroborates one member's experience when codes looked like a faulty AWD module but the dealer came back and said the problem was so simple and quick to fix... a "connection" problem to the AWD module.

cliballe

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer Platinum
Thanks for the additional information!

Yes the TSB is splicing in an additional ground wire that will basically 'T' off the original and terminate with a new bolt under the seat..... almost as to compensate for poor module case grounds etc. Not sure.

Also yes I have FORScan. That's what I used to pull these with. Whatever is causing her issue is a hard fault because the cluster messages and codes are there every time she drives it.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
I have seen it get confused when slipping on snowy roads
I've had the same experience. Went away after starting it back up

Wholdy

Reactions
Just had this issue arise yesterday. Will do as specified above. Thank you for the useful info

Shanekacz

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I've been having these warnings and codes pop up since November. Haven't had time to take it to a dealer but the car has been driving fine. I'll check the module after work. Is it just right under the driver seat? Does anything need to be removed to get to it?

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST

Shanekacz

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I ended up taking it to the dealer and they said the AWD module needs to be replaced as I thought. They said the total including diagnosis is $839.47. It's feeling like they aren't going to cover it under the powertrain warranty. I'm just not sure if I want to fight it right now or get it over with.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I ended up taking it to the dealer and they said the AWD module needs to be replaced as I thought. They said the total including diagnosis is $839.47. It's feeling like they aren't going to cover it under the powertrain warranty. I'm just not sure if I want to fight it right now or get it over with.
The dealer is probably just being lazy. Looks like your vehicle falls in the TSB for grounding the harness to the AWD module. It's likely the AWD modules in the affected cars weren't properly case-grounded. It's still mind boggling how the AWD module isn't covered under powertrain for some.

Shanekacz

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
The dealer is probably just being lazy. Looks like your vehicle falls in the TSB for grounding the harness to the AWD module. It's likely the AWD modules in the affected cars weren't properly case-grounded. It's still mind boggling how the AWD module isn't covered under powertrain for some.
Yeah, that's what I was looking at and when I asked them why the component wasn't covered they said, "Once we have a causal part number, we run it for coverage. If the part number falls under warranty for powertrain, it will say it is covered. If it is not a covered causal part it will state not covered, which is the case with this repair." When I asked them about the TSBs they said, "TSB's are a directed repair. A guideline from Ford directing how to repair. It is not an extension of warranty." So basically since their system didn't show the AWD module as a cover part the TSB means nothing.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
That's all well and good but if the TSB takes an hour of labor, that's a helluva lot better than close to $900!