Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

3rd Best Power Modification

Reactions
With my last thread, https://www.explorerst.org/threads/downpipes-upgrade-worth-it.2241/ , I think the general consensus was that downpipes were probably slightly more expensive and difficult to install for what they provide in terms of gains. So I open the floor to opinions/experience as to what would be the best bang for the buck after a tune and an intercooler upgrade. On my last car 2.7L ecoboost, meth injection was the 3rd move for me, anyone have experience with that here? Results? Other ideas? I'd prefer not to use nitrous as it's not constant so let's take that idea off the table. I haven't heard anyone talk about throttle bodies, are ours just big enough to accommodate added power? Looking forward to hearing some ideas.

Reactions
With my last thread, https://www.explorerst.org/threads/downpipes-upgrade-worth-it.2241/ , I think the general consensus was that downpipes were probably slightly more expensive and difficult to install for what they provide in terms of gains. So I open the floor to opinions/experience as to what would be the best bang for the buck after a tune and an intercooler upgrade. On my last car 2.7L ecoboost, meth injection was the 3rd move for me, anyone have experience with that here? Results? Other ideas? I'd prefer not to use nitrous as it's not constant so let's take that idea off the table. I haven't heard anyone talk about throttle bodies, are ours just big enough to accommodate added power? Looking forward to hearing some ideas.
Where are you at in Detroit? There are quite a few of us on here in Metro D.

Also, you might get more responses on the FB groups, if you're on FB.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
My address is on the left side of the screen :). I don't have social media.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
With my last thread, https://www.explorerst.org/threads/downpipes-upgrade-worth-it.2241/ , I think the general consensus was that downpipes were probably slightly more expensive and difficult to install for what they provide in terms of gains. So I open the floor to opinions/experience as to what would be the best bang for the buck after a tune and an intercooler upgrade.
Best bang for the buck after tune and intercooler would be an e50 tune. Worth about 3/10s according to those who have done it. Forget throttle bodies- more boost will more than compensate for that. Once you get in the 11s, turbos are the impediment after that.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
I'm confused.

Mod 1. Intercooler
Mod 2. e50 tune
Mod 3. e50 tune?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You asked for a 3rd mod after tune and intercooler and mentioned alternative fuels. My assumption is a first tune on gasoline that could be 91 octane, 93 octane, etc. If you're willing to play with alternative fuels, you can add another tune for e50 (or just tune for e50 to start). Beyond e50 you have to spring for HPFP, although I think there is a tuner that has an e85 tune that doesn't require the fuel pump.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Ok so best mod after intercooler and an e50 tune?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
After that, you're out of easy "bang for the buck stuff". Sure, you can do an air filter, a CAI, etc. But your big restrictions now are the turbos.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Ok so the turbos are maxed out on e50?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The turbos were already maxed out at approx 100 extra HP or about 10 lbs air/minute . Running ethanol or meth can add more hp but doesn't add any more mass airflow.

Last edited:
OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
This is very good information. I remember watching a video of PBD saying the turbos were only around 30% duty cycle on their tune. I guess he misspoke. Ok so fair to say, after intercooler and e50 tune the only way to pump more power is bigger turbos? Obviously if you go turbos it's a no brainer to do downpipes at the same time due to the shared labor expense. Thank you for this info.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The wastegate duty cycle on an internally gated turbine is not indicative of potential airflow.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Sweet. This thread can be closed, I appreciate your expertise!

TLDR;
3rd best mod - upgraded turbos.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Let me just add this: The 3.0 platform is a very well engineered setup. The very fact that a good tuner can put a 4700 lb SUV into the 12s completey stock is amazing!

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
I mean my last car was a 2.7L Fusion and people run 12's all day with just a tune and it weighed 5450 with me in it. Just adding.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
How much do you weigh?????? Car and Driver lists a Ford Fusion Sport AWD at 4128 lbs.

OP
D
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
HAHAHA 4550 my bad reversed those numbers. lmao!