Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

3backup light

Reactions
Vehicle
22 Ford Explorer
22 Explorer 3rd backup light flashing

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Found this on the Internet for you

Flickering 3rd brake light

No lower brake lights and a flickering 3rd brake light. After a lot of troubleshooting, I finally found the problem was related to the theft deterent system. The computer had a fried channel and was placing a constant ~8V on the brake lights. It was intended to flash the brake lights when the alarm was activated. This constant low voltage burned out the bulbs on the lower brake lights. The low voltage of 8V was enough to charge the ballast for the 3rd brake light, but did not provide enough current to keep it on solid; a constant charge / discharge event on the 3rd brake light was causing the flickering.<br><br>My fix was to cut the wire leaving the alarm system and going to the brake lights. Of course the proper fix would be to replace the alarms system module

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
My confusion is with the 3rd Backup light as posted. I'm aware of only two. If we're talking about brake lights I've seen where aftermarket light modules have been added to the third brake light to make them flash/flicker as "attention getters" before staying on each time the pedal is pressed.