Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

360 camera re-calibration?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
DA8F2D03-CC7E-4C71-8C61-4E3D50B6B5B8.jpeg
I don't remember the birds eye view camera doing this when new. when i park into a parking spot, i hit the camera button on the dash to see if I've pulled forward enough. it seems the front view is not aligned with the sides. does anyone else's do this or should i bring it in for re-calibration?

DaxST

Reactions
360 distort front (2).jpg 360 distort rear (2).jpg

My 360 image distortion is brutal. I feel like it's getting worse.

Complained to my dealership, they said there was nothing they could do.

OP
C

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
So my dealer recalibrated mine. No change.

Edit: no change. they suggested it may be the lowered suspension?

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have EXACTLY the same issue. Did you ever find a solution? I do know that the previous owner did have a blue-screen issue. But I'm not sure if the rear camera was replaced or not. I'm assuming it was, and the repair was not done properly - or a calibration process missed... but after seeing your post, it make me question if this non-alignment is normal... I would expect better though.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Rapid Red ST
I have EXACTLY the same issue. Did you ever find a solution? I do know that the previous owner did have a blue-screen issue. But I'm not sure if the rear camera was replaced or not. I'm assuming it was, and the repair was not done properly - or a calibration process missed... but after seeing your post, it make me question if this non-alignment is normal... I would expect better though.
That is not normal. My alignment is perfect.

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
View attachment 3793
I don't remember the birds eye view camera doing this when new. when i park into a parking spot, i hit the camera button on the dash to see if I've pulled forward enough. it seems the front view is not aligned with the sides. does anyone else's do this or should i bring it in for re-calibration?
Mine looks the same. It was pretty good when i first got the Explorer but 6 months and 6500 miles later it looks like this.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The dealer told me to stop by "weekdays at 2pm the camera guy comes by, except Fridays, no appts." - seriously. Skeptical, I showed up on a Wed at 2pm. Sure enough, the guy showed up, takes the car, attached laptop, drove it to the back lot (I guess to find large area with open lined parking spaces), and ~10 minutes later all was aligned. The black box is still there but the cameras are aligned very well now. No paperwork or documentation. It was odd but I'll take what I can get!

randyknight

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
The dealer told me to stop by "weekdays at 2pm the camera guy comes by, except Fridays, no appts." - seriously. Skeptical, I showed up on a Wed at 2pm. Sure enough, the guy showed up, takes the car, attached laptop, drove it to the back lot (I guess to find large area with open lined parking spaces), and ~10 minutes later all was aligned. The black box is still there but the cameras are aligned very well now. No paperwork or documentation. It was odd but I'll take what I can get!
The dealer I went to said their warranty guy is about three weeks out on work and I would have to bring my car there and let it sit there for the three weeks until he gets time to look at it. That’s about the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. They said they don’t do appointments.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The dealer I went to said their warranty guy is about three weeks out on work and I would have to bring my car there and let it sit there for the three weeks until he gets time to look at it. That’s about the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. They said they don’t do appointments.
They don't make appointments? First time I've heard that excuse. I would find a new dealer. Do you have any other Ford or Lincoln dealers close?

Last edited:
Reactions
Posted this somewhere else. Same here, this issue started occurring few months after purchasing my 2021, and it does seem to be getting worse. I took it to Thorncrest Ford in Toronto and they claimed the issue couldn’t be replicated. IMG_0760.jpeg

OP
C

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
Next time I have the time, I'm going to see if Forscan can run the 360 calibration. Supposedly it can but needs a well marked parking area.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'm sorry... I never did come back and give an update.

I complained about this when I took it in for the CAT leak recall issue. Not only did they not have the ability to fix this (or even know what I was talking about), but also installed the CAT without loosening or replacing the CAT-to-pipe clamp (clamp and nuts were still rusted to the pipe with no sign of removal). And, of course, it leaked - pretty bad too! I heard it driving it off the lot and KNEW it wasn't right. I also KNEW this was the LAST TIME I would EVER do anything at SC Ford in State College, PA. They are a WORTHLESS dealership in all fashions, period, except for buying parts with a discount. I don't know how they're still in business. It seems they really don't want to help anyone that didn't purchase the vehicle from them. I have filed several complaints with Ford over the years, and should have known better this time, too. It was about 15 years since my last encounter and thought they might have changed. It's just convenient for me to go there. My bad.

In this area there's another dealer buying up dealerships and they have been FANTASTIC to deal with. Stuckey - branded with a variety of new car brands now including Ford, Bellefonte. They realigned my 360 perfectly and fixed all my other complaints. So there is a way to do it. My 2020 is all factory though.

If you ever manage to get ForScan for work, please repost. I have the ability do use it, I'd just rather not when it's under warranty (as it was). But now, it's out of the 3-year portion. I still only have just over 16k on it :)

OP
C

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
Forscan: The F150 folks seem to be able to do it with Forscan. I looked today under service procedures and I don't seem to have the option to calibrate the 360 view cameras. The only option besides module reset was lane centering camera calibration. Too bad...

Reactions
So I went back to Thorncrest Ford in Toronto for the rear axle bolt recall and they told me they would fix the camera issue (but they were referring to the blue screen on the reverse camera) so I showed them all the pictures from this forum to help them understand what I was actually talking about. I picked up my 2021 ST 4 hours later with the misaligned 360 degree camera issue fixed and the blue screen recall completed. Unfortunately, they’re still waiting for specialized tools and parts for the rear axle recall repair.

SeanColin

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Just had my Explorer in for the camera recall and it came back with the 360 camera aligned properly. I'm assuming when they install the new camera aligning it is part of the process.