Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

30k Service

JCon

Reactions
Has anyone had 30k service performed by dealership? What did you have done? I was looking into it…called 3 dealerships and all had different service recommendations. All included Oil Change, Engine and Cabin Air Filter Replacement and Tire Rotation.
One included Fuel Injector Service.
Another one included Fuel Injector Service plus Transmission and Brake Fluid replacement. It’s odd to me that they wouldn’t all have the same service recommendation. The closest dealership to me was the one that included the least recommended services. Obviously no one
Is interested in paying/getting services that aren’t needed at 30k.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The manual lists what is needed. Everything else is optional. A lot depends on what you've had done recently. I think the most important thing is that they actually look over the car. Not charge for a multipoint inspection but not actually do it. Not sure what year you have but our cars are prone to a multitude of issues, more so for the MY2020: cat converter welds failing, axle boots tearing, trans cooler leaks, axle hub actuator leaks, rear differential leaks, shock/strut leaks, undercarriage cover coming loose, exhaust shields loose, exhaust failure etc. If you are tight with your dealership, have them update any modules that have firmware updates. I personally would do engine oil and filter change, engine air filter, cabin filter, brake bleed, tire rotation, alignment (if it's been a while). Based on one forum user comments, it may be good to change the oil in the front differential and transfer case, and at least check the level on the transmission oil.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
I looked into this when I came up to first interval as well. The filters are so easy i'd go with a nice reusable if you're so inclined. If you don't care about those the base paper ones are half what they'll want to change it. Not even 30 min to swap them both out with a couple basic tools and a youtube video possibly.

Everyone has different feelings on trans/diff services. When I had my Fusion Sport (all wheel drive) the dealer didn't want to service the PTU cause it 'wasn't serviceable'. Once I showed them it had a fluid spec and amount they reluctantly changed the fluid. Like I was the crazy person wanting the gear fluid changed.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
The manual lists what is needed. Everything else is optional. A lot depends on what you've had done recently. I think the most important thing is that they actually look over the car. Not charge for a multipoint inspection but not actually do it. Not sure what year you have but our cars are prone to a multitude of issues, more so for the MY2020: cat converter welds failing, axle boots tearing, trans cooler leaks, axle hub actuator leaks, rear differential leaks, shock/strut leaks, undercarriage cover coming loose, exhaust shields loose, exhaust failure etc. If you are tight with your dealership, have them update any modules that have firmware updates. I personally would do engine oil and filter change, engine air filter, cabin filter, brake bleed, tire rotation, alignment (if it's been a while). Based on one forum user comments, it may be good to change the oil in the front differential and transfer case, and at least check the level on the transmission oil.
Exactly, well put. Some things are required by ford to maintain the factory warranty. Some are recommended. Like mentioned the inspection is huge to catch stuff while its in warranty.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
OP
J

JCon

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
I looked for the maintenance schedule in everything that came with my 2020 ST and couldn’t find it. That’s why I started calling around. I didn’t expect for it to be part of the owners manual , thanks for for that. Other vehicles I’ve owned have included a separate book with all service interval recommendations and areas for the dealership to sign off on. According to the owners manual, at 30k, it’s just an oil and engine air filter change…brake oil change (3yrs). Tires should be rotated at every oil change.
This came up only because I decided to change the oil myself and use Mobil1 Full Synethetic oil. Had I not done this, I would have taken it in and have them perform any recommended services. At this point I’ll just change the engine air filter and wait til next oil change so they can do multipoint inspection and brake oil change. Thanks for your input!