Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

3.0L Engineering Analysis by the Feds

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I saw an article by Associated Press dated 10/2 about the Ford 3.0L turbo engine in 2021 and 2022 model years regarding catastrophic failure due to faulty valves. It says that it's usually early on.
I seem to remember people on this forum mentioning something about that.
Something to keep an eye on.

Dram789

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
I saw an article by Associated Press dated 10/2 about the Ford 3.0L turbo engine in 2021 and 2022 model years regarding catastrophic failure due to faulty valves. It says that it's usually early on.
I seem to remember people on this forum mentioning something about that.
Something to keep an eye on.
Damn I my service advisor told me about something like that last time I was in. Glad I have a 2020 model sometimes cause I didn’t miss out on the feature cuts though

STi1305

Reactions
Damn, I have 15k kms on my 2021, so far nothing bad has happened (knock on the wood) Am thinking whether I should get rid of it.

Dram789

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 explorer st
I
Damn, I have 15k kms on my 2021, so far nothing bad has happened (knock on the wood) Am thinking whether I should get rid of it.
I was in the same boat, but I figured it can happen with any car. If I sold my ST I’d buy a bmw so not safer either. Failures can happen with any car and the ST has been good to me so far and so has ford with any isses I’ve had (mostly interior issues and had a axle leak) I love the car though although I don’t drive it much cause I daily my accord mostly

STi1305

Reactions
I

I was in the same boat, but I figured it can happen with any car. If I sold my ST I’d buy a bmw so not safer either. Failures can happen with any car and the ST has been good to me so far and so has ford with any isses I’ve had (mostly interior issues and had a axle leak) I love the car though although I don’t drive it much cause I daily my accord mostly
I work in a ford dealership, I somewhat know these products and if it fails mostly covered but I heard there is a huge wait time for getting replacement engine. I was thinking of perhaps get the X5 x40i with the i6. Has there been any case of the valve dropping on the ST 3.0 yet?

Brummy

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 Exploder ST
I have a '21 that is a replacement for a '20. At 3,800 miles, the engine locked up on the '21 and was replaced. I am now at ~48,000 miles without any powertrain issues. Ford (supposedly) never reported to the dealer what the failure was, but it makes sense that this was it. The '20 was bought back by Ford under lemon law with constant issues on the infotainment center (likely APIM). I now have a failing APIM on the '21... :mad: