Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

275/50R20 - Stock 20” Wheels?

StarWhite22

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Anyone running 275/50R20 on stock 20” wheels? Just curious on the look of that if anyone has pictures and if there is any rubbing etc?
Thinking about doing that down the road or if I go to a different 20” run what that size would look like. Thanks

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
The stock ST 20's are an 8.5 wide wheel, and since 2006 the 20" wheel on the F150's is also a 20x8.5 and ford runs a 275/55/20 on them so you will be fine with a 275 tire on a 8.5" wheel. If you go any wider, then you should get a wider wheel.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
@mitchellj22 RTR Tech 5, +33 offset. These are technically Mustang wheels, but the specs work decently. When I got these in late 2020, there wasn't much available in 20" with a decent offset. You can find several 20s now that are 10 or 10.5, with a better offset for the Explorer. Most Mustang wheels will look goofy with the wrong offset.

Tires are Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS2. I got them as they were on sale at the time and got decent reviews. I wouldn't recommend them. They were quiet at first and rode better than the stock tires. But they have worn pretty quickly (about at the wear bars with 25K miles) and are now quite loud. Will be replacing shortly.

Last edited:

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
@mitchellj22 RTR Tech 5, +33 offset. These are technically Mustang wheels, but the specs work decently. When I got these in late 2020, there wasn't much available in 20" which a decent offset. You can find several 20s now that are 10 or 10.5, which a better offset for the Explorer. Most Mustang wheels will look goofy with the wrong offset.

Tires are Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS2. I got them as they were on sale at the time and got decent reviews. I wouldn't recommend them. They were quiet at first,and rode better than the stock tires. But they have worn pretty quickly (about at the wear bars with 25K miles) and are now quite loud. Will be replacing shortly.
I have had several sets or pirellis on my previous 2015 edge sport and those things were always LOUD (relatively anyways) after breaking them in a bit. I always thought I had wheel bearings going out, but then put on a new set of tires and it was quiet again

dolsen

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
275/55/20 with 1/4” spacers tight fit but no rubbing no trimming
The AT's were an interesting choice. What is the speed rating on those? I am curious why you chose AT over some AS or similar.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer st
The AT's were an interesting choice. What is the speed rating on those? I am curious why you chose AT over some AS or similar.
113T speed rating 118mph, these are just my winter tires I wanted an all terrain instead of a dedicated snow tire so I could run these wheels and tires all year if I wanted

Fink

Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
113T speed rating 118mph, these are just my winter tires I wanted an all terrain instead of a dedicated snow tire so I could run these wheels and tires all year if I wanted
Love that look. What offset are those wheels? Got my '22 ST a couple of weeks ago and I'm slightly paranoid about the factory Pirellis in the snow, even though we only get 1-2 good snows every year. Looking at dropping to a 20" and going with an A/T. That's a good looking ST!

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer ST
@mitchellj22 RTR Tech 5, +33 offset. These are technically Mustang wheels, but the specs work decently. When I got these in late 2020, there wasn't much available in 20" with a decent offset. You can find several 20s now that are 10 or 10.5, with a better offset for the Explorer. Most Mustang wheels will look goofy with the wrong offset.

Tires are Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS2. I got them as they were on sale at the time and got decent reviews. I wouldn't recommend them. They were quiet at first and rode better than the stock tires. But they have worn pretty quickly (about at the wear bars with 25K miles) and are now quite loud. Will be replacing shortly.
@MikeyP Thanks bud. Wow is it hard to find 9.5” or 10” wheels with a 33 offset. That’s the lowest you can go before having too positive of a scrub radius. I was thinking I’d have to special order some expensive wheels to get the right fit. Those look almost identical to the 20x9.5 Bravado Tributes I was looking at which come as a 35 offset. For a 10” wide wheel though I think we would need a 33 offset in order to safely fit without potential rubbing of suspension components. A 35 offset should work just fine for a 9.5” wheel. Anywhere between 33-35. Does your steering wheel turning feel the same as original with that setup? Or does it feel heavier/harder? And do you still have decent space between the inner tire sidewall and the steering knuckle rod? I was going to put on 285/50s as well since my 295s didn’t work out. So I’m sure you can see why I was so interested in your setup, because it’s exactly what I was considering. Thanks for the info. I hadn’t decided on tires yet. Was considering some A/T, all the performance tires in that size have bad reviews in rain and snow after a few thousand miles. Yokohama Geolander A/Ts have the highest speed rating (H-130) and were prolly going to be the shoes that I chose for whatever new wheels I get. Now I have to decide between Bravado Tributes and these RTR Techs, similar prices and not too expensive. Both are 20x9.5 which is what I’ll have to settle for it seems. I haven’t seen any rims that are 20x10 with a 33 offset.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
@mitchellj22 No change to steering. It wasn't heavier or anything. Like I said, I'm happy with these wheels, especially for the price (they were on sale for under $240/ea when I got them). At that price we can't always have the perfect specs.

For tires I just installed Nitto NT420V. They feel great for this first week! They had no issues in pouring rain. I don't pay much attention to snow performance as I only go to Arrowhead or Big Bear once a year.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer st
Love that look. What offset are those wheels? Got my '22 ST a couple of weeks ago and I'm slightly paranoid about the factory Pirellis in the snow, even though we only get 1-2 good snows every year. Looking at dropping to a 20" and going with an A/T. That's a good looking ST!
20x9.5 with +40 offset

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
@mitchellj22 No change to steering. It wasn't heavier or anything. Like I said, I'm happy with these wheels, especially for the price (they were on sale for under $240/ea when I got them). At that price we can't always have the perfect specs.

For tires I just installed Nitto NT420V. They feel great for this first week! They had no issues in pouring rain. I don't pay much attention to snow performance as I only go to Arrowhead or Big Bear once a year.
Sorry for the rookie question, but if I understand correctly, the Nitto NT420V will fit on the OEM 20 rim, and there are no rubbing issues.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Sorry for the rookie question, but if I understand correctly, the Nitto NT420V will fit on the OEM 20 rim, and there are no rubbing issues.
There aren't any NT420V sizes I'd run on the stock rim, as it's too narrow. They have a 265 and 275, but they don't have the right aspect ratio to match the factory diameter.

Reactions
I'm reviving this thread real fast..

275/55/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Factory 20s, no spacers, lowered on Steeda springs.

Should be good, right? :oops:

and also, before people light me up for not matching the speedo.. my summer wheels are 305/40/22 so 275/55/20 will be close to that so I'm used to the speedo difference lol

Last edited:
Reactions
I'd like to get some 275/50/R20 Continental DWS 06 plus's. to put on my stock 20" wheels. I also have Steeda springs. Really hoping they'll work with the stock wheels.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
They should. On the F150's with factory 20's the wheels are 20 x 8.5 and they get 275/55/20 from the factory and they are a 31.9" tire.
A 275/50/20 is just a little shorter sidewall.

Ahill1089

Reactions
Vehicle
21Explorer
I
I'm reviving this thread real fast..

275/55/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Factory 20s, no spacers, lowered on Steeda springs.

Should be good, right? :oops:

and also, before people light me up for not matching the speedo.. my summer wheels are 305/40/22 so 275/55/20 will be close to that so I'm used to the speedo difference lol
I’m looking at a 275/55/20 with a fuel wheel that’s +1 offset also doing 1.5lift and know I will need some trimming done most likely Looking at the Toyo r/t trail for the tires

2021Nade

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I'm looking to do a 20x9 Fuel Vapor with a 35mm offset, does anyone have some I sight on what all terrains I can run if any without any rubbing trimming? The ST is 100% stock suspension wise as of now. I just wanted a more aggressive look with an AT tire setup.