Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

SLD 21" Wheels & Tires!

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hey guys I'm posting this now for some feelers.

I have a '20 Explorer ST and recently something must have happened as I have a slow leak on one rim. The leak doesn't always happen as I can go a few days or sometimes even a week without having to fill up the tire. Other times I need to fill it up twice in a day. We're not sure where the bend is in the rim but occasionally depending on how the vehicle is sitting at rest the tire will lose pressure or it won't. I've tried to purchase a replacement rim online but they're getting hard to find for a reasonable price. Also the 21" tires are significantly more expensive than a 20" comparable.

I'm considering replacing all the wheels with 20" rims and tires and selling my 21" wheels and tires as a set discounted due to the one with the bend. I'm located in Muskogee, Oklahoma. Tire's are Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's 275/45/21 with about 8,000 miles on them. I was thinking about $1,500 for the set. BTW you can used services like Shiply or others to have someone pick up the wheels and tires and deliver for a fairly reasonable price. I had a guy pick up and drop off an 85" TV to me 5 hours away for $200.

I feel like that's a solid offer for a set of $2,000 tires with only 8K miles on them and 3 good used rims and one with an imperceptible bend somewhere. BTW the rim conditions on the others is pretty fair for a 2020 Explorer with a bit of road rash here and there. If I go this route I'll make sure to take pictures and clean them up as well but thought I'd check here first.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
Just wondering if you have checked for a screw in the tread somewhere? Sometime a screw will cause a leak depending on how it punctured the rubber and if you park on the screw versus the screw is not touching the road/parking surface. Please ignore if you have already performed a soap or visual inspection. Cheers.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Forum rules require pictures in the FS section.

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Just wondering if you have checked for a screw in the tread somewhere? Sometime a screw will cause a leak depending on how it punctured the rubber and if you park on the screw versus the screw is not touching the road/parking surface. Please ignore if you have already performed a soap or visual inspection. Cheers.
Yes already went down that route. Tires were purchased new at Discount Tire in Tulsa and they inspected tire after issue arose. I know tires too and tried to find it at home one night with soapy water but I couldn't either. That's how we came to the bent rim conclusion.
Forum rules require pictures in the FS section.
Sorry about that. I uploaded a picture of a dirty wheel and tire for now. I need to swing by car wash today and then I'll upload pictures of all wheels and tires. I was posting initially just feeling out on the price but I think I'll move forward

vasoteona

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
pictures please and will you ship to 19801-5246 thanks.

OP
Sarge101st

Sarge101st

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
pictures please and will you ship to 19801-5246 thanks.
Sorry decided to keep the wheels until full tire replacement next year.

vasoteona

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thanks.