Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

21 ST aftermarket amp problems

kodine

Reactions
So i was curious if anyone else has had this problem. I picked up signal from both voice coils running to an lci then the amp. I am getting major clipping with any amp when i just barely start to turn up the gain on my amp. Even with the lci turned way down, the amp will still clip. I know i picked up the signal correctly onto the right colored wires. I just dont know what could be causing this.

*edit-i have the upgraded b&o with 14 speakers if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Without some way to test out your level convertor, I'd have to say start there. Which lci do you have?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Start with details. All of them.
Where exactly did you tap the wires?
LCI which one?
What amp and how is it set up?

OP
K

kodine

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
i have an lci2. the amp is a skar skv2 1500.1. I tapped the signal from each voice coil on the stock sub. one set of wires on the green/violet and grey wires and one set on the white/blue and blue/green wires. The stock sub is still active. Each run separate into the lci2. The amp can handle 4 volts in, so that is what i tuned the line out to was 4 volts out to the amp. I cannot really tune any of the amps i try, because for some reason it clips horribly. It is not a constant clip. it will peak way above then dip way below. I do have 4 gauge wire (which is a problem, i know) but i dont know if that could be causing it to peak so high like that. the stock alt should be plenty to handle the 1500 watts easy, so i havent done a big 3, but it wouldnt hurt. The only thing i can think to do is either go to 0 wire, or add a dsp.

*edit - i tapped the wires about 2-3 inches before the multipin clip.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Did you turn the accubass completely off? We don't need it as the stock system does not roll the bass off. If accubass is set too high, it could result in clipping. Are you saying it clips even at lower volumes or just when you turn it up?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
2 problems I see in addition to the above post.
Oem sub still playing
Skar

Reactions
i have an lci2. the amp is a skar skv2 1500.1. I tapped the signal from each voice coil on the stock sub. one set of wires on the green/violet and grey wires and one set on the white/blue and blue/green wires. The stock sub is still active. Each run separate into the lci2. The amp can handle 4 volts in, so that is what i tuned the line out to was 4 volts out to the amp. I cannot really tune any of the amps i try, because for some reason it clips horribly. It is not a constant clip. it will peak way above then dip way below. I do have 4 gauge wire (which is a problem, i know) but i dont know if that could be causing it to peak so high like that. the stock alt should be plenty to handle the 1500 watts easy, so i havent done a big 3, but it wouldnt hurt. The only thing i can think to do is either go to 0 wire, or add a dsp.

*edit - i tapped the wires about 2-3 inches before the multipin clip.
First thing I recommend is getting yourself a navtv unit. Second thing I recommend is not to use the stock sub.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Well, I think he's just trying to add bass to the stock system if I'm not mistaken. The stock sub isn't really a subwoofer anyways. Many just want to add bass and leave the stock system as is.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Well, I think he's just trying to add bass to the stock system if I'm not mistaken. The stock sub isn't really a subwoofer anyways. Many just want to add bass and leave the stock system as is.
Definitely nothing wrong with that and lots of people have done it. You just have to do it right. The oem sub should be eliminated completely, the signal for the line out converter needs to come from the right place then quality gear and install quality makes all the difference.

Askarrel

911 Dispatcher
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
So i was curious if anyone else has had this problem. I picked up signal from both voice coils running to an lci then the amp. I am getting major clipping with any amp when i just barely start to turn up the gain on my amp. Even with the lci turned way down, the amp will still clip. I know i picked up the signal correctly onto the right colored wires. I just dont know what could be causing this.

*edit-i have the upgraded b&o with 14 speakers if that makes a difference.
I never had that problem when i added 2 12s to mine, i ran off of the stock sub then through an audiocontrol LC2i pro and then to my amp

Reactions
Is it possible his amp is clipping as the bass hits on the stock sub, causing voltage spike? I'm totally spitballin here and coming into the convo way late