Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2025 Explorer Teaser Ahead of Tomorrow's Reveal

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
This is a flat out lie. Who told you this?
Maybe they were talking about wireless Carplay. BMW used to charge an upfront fee for that, and later a yearly subscription. Even later, they made it free as other makes started offering it for free.

The point is, why can't something like BlueCruise be free?...at least for a few years just like map updates are free for 4 years.

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Maybe they were talking about wireless Carplay. BMW used to charge an upfront fee for that, and later a yearly subscription. Even later, they made it free as other makes started offering it for free.

The point is, why can't something like BlueCruise be free?...at least for a few years just like map updates are free for 4 years.
Liability, updates, and staffing are a few reasons I can see. Software isn't cheap to maintain nor is it easy. Ford already sucks at it and automakers in generally aren't in the business of making software.

Why do you think Ford and other companies have gone to Android based systems?

Reactions
This is a flat out lie. Who told you this?
Not sure what you mean? I never stated Ford did this, I stated that I would not be surprised if they did......

The BMW part was actually true, they were in the process of charging for the use of the heated seats that were already part of the car......
Liability, updates, and staffing are a few reasons I can see. Software isn't cheap to maintain nor is it easy. Ford already sucks at it and automakers in generally aren't in the business of making software.

Why do you think Ford and other companies have gone to Android based systems?
What does Android have to do with Blue Cruise?

You're missing the whole point of it. There was a time where you didnt need to pay extra to have functions that the car/device/product comes with, it just worked or didnt work, period. You dont see phone makers like Android/Apple charging for OS updates or Map updates. Thats like buying a phone that has a physical additonal camera to the main one that can zoom 300x , but you need to pay for a subscription in order to actually access it. Companies are just getting really greedy.

Now everyone wants a piece like the cloud services, you dont actually own the product anymore even if you paid hundreds/thousands of dollars.

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Not sure what you mean? I never stated Ford did this, I stated that I would not be surprised if they did......

The BMW part was actually true, they were in the process of charging for the use of the heated seats that were already part of the car......

What does Android have to do with Blue Cruise?

You're missing the whole point of it. There was a time where you didnt need to pay extra to have functions that the car/device/product comes with, it just worked or didnt work, period. You dont see phone makers like Android/Apple charging for OS updates or Map updates. Thats like buying a phone that has a physical additonal camera to the main one that can zoom 300x , but you need to pay for a subscription in order to actually access it. Companies are just getting really greedy.

Now everyone wants a piece like the cloud services, you dont actually own the product anymore even if you paid hundreds/thousands of dollars.
New maps have always cost money for vehicles with nav.

You are the product for apple and Google. They sell ads to companies to show to you and make money off of it. Thats why their products are free.

You clearly do not understand the development cost of things like blue cruise or programming an infotainment system.

Reactions
New maps have always cost money for vehicles with nav.

You are the product for apple and Google. They sell ads to companies to show to you and make money off of it. Thats why their products are free.

You clearly do not understand the development cost of things like blue cruise or programming an infotainment system.
You are correct, new maps always cost money but it was a one time fee for every update and if you didnt upgrade, the product still worked with the older map. Its clearly not the case here.

Im perfectly familiar with development with software....... i actually develop fileserver systems and work with PLC's/HMI's.....

FYI, Ford also sells your info lol and you have to opt out. Even then, they still get you. Take it you haven't seen the recent articles regarding that? Reason why insurance companies are charging you more than they did 5 years ago...

Last edited:

SF02112

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
While it might sound picky, I really can't understand why they did away with the ability to adjust airflow on the vents. $60+K for a vehicle that doesn't have that feature is a miss, IMO. We actually use that feature a lot.

Attachments

Reactions
2025 Explorer - So why in the hell can you get a 2nd row bench seat in everything EXCEPT the ST or the Platinum if you choose the 3.0 liter engine. F'ing stupid. If you choose the 2.3 liter engine in a Platinum, you can get the bench seat. I'm sure no one knows, just venting about the stupidness of Ford.. it's endless.

Jamo

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
2025 Explorer - So why in the hell can you get a 2nd row bench seat in everything EXCEPT the ST or the Platinum if you choose the 3.0 liter engine. F'ing stupid. If you choose the 2.3 liter engine in a Platinum, you can get the bench seat. I'm sure no one knows, just venting about the stupidness of Ford.. it's endless.
My assumption is that the 2.3 and 3.0 are on different lines at the plant thus the bench install isn't on a particular line. Again speaking as someone with 0 clue on the actual internals at Ford but that would be my guess.

Reactions
My assumption is that the 2.3 and 3.0 are on different lines at the plant thus the bench install isn't on a particular line. Again speaking as someone with 0 clue on the actual internals at Ford but that would be my guess.
They don't generally have separate lines just because of engine sizes or options.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The problem with that theory is the Canadian build site has the option for bench or captains chairs for the ST. I can see that it would definitely save money for Ford by offering fewer options and mainly set packages.

Reactions
The problem with that theory is the Canadian build site has the option for bench or captains chairs for the ST. I can see that it would definitely save money for Ford by offering fewer options and mainly set packages.
Weird thing, they used to charge for the bench seat add on for 2020/21 Explorer's then they dropped it altogether and made it a free change when ordering for the later models.

If anything it should make them money making it another add on considering its still being offered on previous models, opening up to other customers that want it with the ST.

I just think they are getting lazier and want to keep it simple for the 3.0l models or make it more "premium" as the competition only offers captain chairs on their higher models.

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
While it might sound picky, I really can't understand why they did away with the ability to adjust airflow on the vents. $60+K for a vehicle that doesn't have that feature is a miss, IMO. We actually use that feature a lot.
I'm sure there is, just in a different spot.