Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2023 ST noise

Mackdaddy

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST replaced my 2022 that was totaled
Has anyone had a interior noise from the inside seems like the passenger side quarter panel area? if so, what was it? like maybe something not secured between the outer body and the inner trim panel, it's driving me up the wall, but I guess I go thru service one day soon, I was just wandering.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I have the same problem, can easily reproduce, decided to just pull the interior trim instead of taking it in. Give me a day or two.

OP
Mackdaddy

Mackdaddy

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
ok thanks, keep me posted.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Carbonized Gray Explorer ST
Can't tell from your description exactly what your noise sounds like. You said it sounds like it's inside so maybe a different problem than mine. Anyway, I had a fluttering noise from the rear drivers door or rear quarter panel area that I was chasing. Turns out it was the underbody felt panel. There are some plastic nut/spacer things that hold the panel in some spots. Those are crap. The stud that they attach to is a standard M6 thread. I got some M6 nuts and 1" wide fender washers and tightened those down in place of the plastic nut thing and my noise disappeared.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Can't tell from your description exactly what your noise sounds like. You said it sounds like it's inside so maybe a different problem than mine. Anyway, I had a fluttering noise from the rear drivers door or rear quarter panel area that I was chasing. Turns out it was the underbody felt panel. There are some plastic nut/spacer things that hold the panel in some spots. Those are crap. The stud that they attach to is a standard M6 thread. I got some M6 nuts and 1" wide fender washers and tightened those down in place of the plastic nut thing and my noise disappeared.
I had this same issue. Good place to start looking if you are hearing noise from there. Dealer fixed it for me quickly after determining the origin.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I'll check that also, plan is to pull seats and install second row center seat console while checking interior for source of noise.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Carbonized Gray Explorer ST
I should have added that the fluttering from the underbody panel was only at highway speeds. I didn't ever hear it below about 50mph or so.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
With me it happens around 30 to 50 mph on slightly bumpy roads.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
ok thanks, keep me posted.
Update:
The sound that I was hearing was coming from the passenger side C-pillar panel where it covers the headliner ( it made noise when I presses at a certain location), puled the panels and found the passenger side roof opening panel rear drain hose routing out of place and was chafing against the headliner, also found a piece of plastic behind another panel, (I was also occasionally hearing a crunchy plastic sound) . Will reroute the hose in the channel provided for it.

IMG_0625.JPG IMG_0628.JPG IMG_0633.JPG

OP
Mackdaddy

Mackdaddy

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
interesting, thank you.