Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2023 Refresh?

Reactions
Will the 2023 Explorers be refreshed? I put in an order for a 2022, but the more I think about it the more I worry the 2023 will be refreshed and I'll regret not waiting.

Reactions
Aren’t the refreshes typically 5/6 year intervals?

ST-KK

Reactions
Will the 2023 Explorers be refreshed? I put in an order for a 2022, but the more I think about it the more I worry the 2023 will be refreshed and I'll regret not waiting.
I think we will at least see changes to the infotainment system.

This new agreement will see Ford vehicles transitioning to an Android-based operating system starting in 2023. At that time, most Ford and Lincoln vehicles will arrive with the new infotainment software, which is most likely replacing the Sync 3 and Sync 4 currently available

https://fordauthority.com/2021/02/f...es-android-operating-system-starting-in-2023/

Reactions
in the gen 5 Explorers they did a minor refresh at the 2 year mark. Just a couple little body tweeks. I wouldn't expect a major body change for a couple years

Reactions
Far as a major facelift, highly doubt it, thats usually a 4-6 year change.

Minor? Possibly, maybe just a grill change and new bumper at most. Considering there are still a ton of cars that were halted, I really doubt there will be a minor one as well.

I dont expect the new Android console till 2024 as well, Ford is usually a year late with infotainments on the Explorer's. It'll start with Mustangs, F-150's but wont be available for all vehicles either right away

Last edited:

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
from what I read, nothing big until 2024. But you’re not alone. I slipped 21 hoping 22 would at least update sync 4. Nope. So now I worry. But it is what it is. The one thing I don’t like about the new systems is everything is touch screen based. I do like the physical controls on sync 3. So that’s what one thing.

having said that, there will always be something new. No matter how long you said.

OP
bigcat1185
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
from what I read, nothing big until 2024. But you’re not alone. I slipped 21 hoping 22 would at least update sync 4. Nope. So now I worry. But it is what it is. The one thing I don’t like about the new systems is everything is touch screen based. I do like the physical controls on sync 3. So that’s what one thing.

having said that, there will always be something new. No matter how long you said.
Exactly where I'm at. I was expecting the 2022's to have Sync 4. Do I spend $60k on a new ST and hope the 2023's aren't updated and better?

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Exactly where I'm at. I was expecting the 2022's to have Sync 4. Do I spend $60k on a new ST and hope the 2023's aren't updated and better?
same position here. But there’s rumor that the explorer may not even ever get sync 4. May just switch to android operating system. 2023? 2024? Who knows.

sync 4 doesn’t add much more over sync 3. Also. Wireless CarPlay/AA but you can get adapters that emulate this. They actually work well. So that kinda solves that.

but also, there will always be something better down the road. You get that 2023, guess what, 2024 will like be even better and more updated. Then the 2025 will be even more. Just like anything in life.

it’s tough for me because technically I don’t need a new car. My 2017 limited is doing well. I just seriously miss a fun car. And im sick of waiting for it.

Reactions
Not only that, so far every year, Ford is removing stuff from the Explorer. 2020 had all the bells and whistles, 2021 removed the glove box and arm rest light, front washer, removed a bolt from the rear end, made it single bolt. 2022 removed the center floor console on captain chairs and who knows what else.

OP
bigcat1185
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
same position here. But there’s rumor that the explorer may not even ever get sync 4. May just switch to android operating system. 2023? 2024? Who knows.

sync 4 doesn’t add much more over sync 3. Also. Wireless CarPlay/AA but you can get adapters that emulate this. They actually work well. So that kinda solves that.

but also, there will always be something better down the road. You get that 2023, guess what, 2024 will like be even better and more updated. Then the 2025 will be even more. Just like anything in life.

it’s tough for me because technically I don’t need a new car. My 2017 limited is doing well. I just seriously miss a fun car. And im sick of waiting for it.
Not only that, so far every year, Ford is removing stuff from the Explorer. 2020 had all the bells and whistles, 2021 removed the glove box and arm rest light, front washer, removed a bolt from the rear end, made it single bolt. 2022 removed the center floor console on captain chairs and who knows what else.
If I could find a good condition and well priced 2020, I would jump on it immediately.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If I could find a good condition and well priced 2020, I would jump on it immediately.
eh I’d avoid 2020. I know I don’t have one but definitely seemed more issue prone’d than the 21s.

Reactions
My 2020 has only 6,600 miles on it and I may be getting a new BMW M4 which I would then sell the ST. The ST hasn’t had to go back for anything and looks like it just came off the showroom floor. Sits in the garage most of the time (I have a company vehicle). Super clean and zero problems. The only problem selling it privately is that the sales tax gets offset if we trade in a car as I’m sure you know, living in OR.

OP
bigcat1185
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
My 2020 has only 6,600 miles on it and I may be getting a new BMW M4 which I would then sell the ST. The ST hasn’t had to go back for anything and looks like it just came off the showroom floor. Sits in the garage most of the time (I have a company vehicle). Super clean and zero problems. The only problem selling it privately is that the sales tax gets offset if we trade in a car as I’m sure you know, living in OR.
Let's see some pictures.

KennyJ

Reactions
I would expect blueCruise for the 2023s.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I would expect Sync 4, maybe wireless Carplay. I wouldn't be surprised if more features are stripped, lol.

Explorer ST Posts