Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2023 Carbonized Grey ST

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Picking up a new ST for the wife Tuesday. Unfortunately it has the 3 bolt sub frame, even with a January build date. We have looked at 8 23’s, all with the 3 bolt. Just going to pick up the AWR brace for now. Really excited for her, she has driven 4 different vans since 96. I think she might deserve something nice for once. Not going to be a track rig, she only drives around 13,000 per year. We might pull a 6X12 trailer with the bike on it occasionally to Florida. Any mods other than the brace should we consider? Thanks everyone for the reply’s!

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Picking up a new ST for the wife Tuesday. Unfortunately it has the 3 bolt sub frame, even with a January build date. We have looked at 8 23’s, all with the 3 bolt. Just going to pick up the AWR brace for now. Really excited for her, she has driven 4 different vans since 96. I think she might deserve something nice for once. Not going to be a track rig, she only drives around 13,000 per year. We might pull a 6X12 trailer with the bike on it occasionally to Florida. Any mods other than the brace should we consider? Thanks everyone for the reply’s!
Welcome to the forum.

Kjack

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
You need to have the dealer submit a misbuilt vehicle report. There is a post in the warranty section that explains it. My dealer will be replacing my subframe here shortly for free because of it.
Do you have info on what the procedure is to start the misbuild? Mine should be in within the week and all other STs have the 3 bolt. Thanks

Taxgod4u

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Exploder-ST
What sub frame are we talking about? I have a Jan 23 build and would like to check this out. Pics?

Kjack

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
What sub frame are we talking about? I have a Jan 23 build and would like to check this out. Pics?
I don’t have pictures handy but they are all over the forum. Mine had a 3/28/23 build date, I’m assuming it’s going to have the single bolt. I’ve seen a few people mention submitting a misbuild report. I’m trying to figure that process out.

Taxgod4u

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Exploder-ST
My Jan 2023 3.0 has just the one bolt.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Carbonized Gray Explorer ST
Cheers for the carbonized gray. It wasn't my first choice but its grown on me since I got it. Welcome.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
You need to have the dealer submit a misbuilt vehicle report. There is a post in the warranty section that explains it. My dealer will be replacing my subframe here shortly for free because of it.
I'm a little late to this party, but I just purchased a new 23 carbonized grey ST with 3-bolt subframe. Emailed my sales manager about filing a misbuild claim and he said he'd get with the service manager and get back to me... hoping you could provide some guidance on this process. I'm anticipating them to hem and haw, so I'd like to be armed with as much knowledge as possible. Could you share your experiences getting your subframe replaced at no cost? Thanks!

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
They will deny it man.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Cheers for the carbonized gray. It wasn't my first choice but its grown on me since I got it. Welcome.
3rd on that, welcome to the forum!

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I spent an Hour on the phone with my local dealerships parts room, they tracked down the correct rear sub frame and had a picture sent to them, they forwarded it to me. It was a 3 bolt subframe. I ordered an external brace.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I spent an Hour on the phone with my local dealerships parts room, they tracked down the correct rear sub frame and had a picture sent to them, they forwarded it to me. It was a 3 bolt subframe. I ordered an external brace.
Thanks, man.

They're probably wise to it by now and have "officially" substituted the "official" part numbers to "officially" pretend that the wrong subframe is actually the right one. That way, no one has any recourse.

What brace did you go with?

Edit: Just saw your other post... are you happy with the Steeda brace? How was the install?

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
It's just such illogical bullshit... if the 3-bolt subframe is the appropriate design for an ST... then what on earth was the 4-bolt subframe ever designed for?! The fact that ANY 3.0 Explorers ship with the 4-bolt design is proof in itself that ALL of them should have it.

But I will buy a brace, check the bolt periodically, get on with my life, and probably not buy from Ford again.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thanks, man.

They're probably wise to it by now and have "officially" substituted the "official" part numbers to "officially" pretend that the wrong subframe is actually the right one. That way, no one has any recourse.

What brace did you go with?

Edit: Just saw your other post... are you happy with the Steeda brace? How was the install?
Haven't installed it yet, got the front end on jack stands finishing up spring and front sway bar install. Had to order a torque wrench extender cause its so close to the ground can't get into some of the tight spaces. Need a mini lift like this one.

https://www.kwik-lift.com/products/kwik-lift/