Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2022 Wireless Charger too small for some phones

geordey

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Just bought a 2022 Explorer ST and despite the great performance and decent spec, there are some niggles. Apple Car play on the large screen is poorly laid out and pretty uninspiring; but the one that irritates most is the wireless charging station, it is incompatible with the IPhone 12/13 Pro Max. Shame as I noted folks were discussing this in threads on this forum as far back as 2020; you would think they would adapt this charger with the changing spec and physical size of phones.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Doesn't fit my samsung S22 ultra either with even the slimmest case on it.

JDMerica

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer 5
Agree here too. Wireless charger and the phone holder are useless for me. Phone has to get plugged in for Android auto and put into the front cubby.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I bought my ST and my girlfriend's ass doesn't fit in the seat; even when she's wearing her smallest dress. So the passenger seat is worthless. Not to mention the mirror isn't big enough to show her entire face so she can't apply her necessary makeup when driving. Not to mention her Gucci purse doesn't fit in the front cubby. Ford needs to address these things immediately!

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
I bought my ST and my girlfriend's ass doesn't fit in the seat; even when she's wearing her smallest dress. So the passenger seat is worthless. Not to mention the mirror isn't big enough to show her entire face so she can't apply her necessary makeup when driving. Not to mention her Gucci purse doesn't fit in the front cubby. Ford needs to address these things immediately!
WOW, I bet your seat won't hold your family jewels much longer after she reads this. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Did I mention her Fook Mi 8.6 phone doesn't use the entire screen? Even after I bought the requisite Dunderbolt 6.0 cable combined with the wireless Intel C.6 HDMI cable (Ebay) combined with the Android Naxmi interface box ($800)? I also bought a wireless charging 24" laptop which doesn't fit into the charging station.

So, I finally had to discard the rear seats to install a Lassiev-Buoy recliner so she can have a place to sit. I'm filing a class action lawsuit against Ford for not anticipating my every want, desire, and need. Those Bastards!

hbalek

Reactions
I recently had a loaner 2019 Edge ST and my phone was too small for the wireless charging pad so it would move around and not charge at all when driving. My 3 year old Samsung S10+ fits perfectly in my Explorer's charging pad. Only complaint is under hard braking, falls forward and stops charging.

Reactions
My floding Galaxy Z Flip3 fits nicely folded in wireless charging pad.. Sorry, no IPhone folding phones for those who are Apple compulsive.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer King Ranch 4WD 3.0T
Yeah, design obviously wasn't fully thought out given the larger phones in the market.

Reactions
My IPhone 12max fits snug with a thin case on it.

Reactions
Its extremely slow wireless charging anyways, you're not missing out on anything.

If they offered 10+watt wireless charging, then yeah it would be something be upset about.

BeefStew

Reactions
my 13 pro max (without a case) fits/charge just fine in my 2022.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Its extremely slow wireless charging anyways, you're not missing out on anything.

If they offered 10+watt wireless charging, then yeah it would be something be upset about.
Yeah agreed. It’s a pos charger. It’s okay at best for a trickle charge but if you legit want to charge your car phone , just plug it in.

hbalek

Reactions
Yeah agreed. It’s a pos charger. It’s okay at best for a trickle charge but if you legit want to charge your car phone , just plug it in.
It's convenient if you're driving a couple hours and want to fully charge it without digging around for a fast charger and plugging it in. My biggest pet peeve is on hard braking it falls forward and stops charging and also getting out of the car and going inside forgetting your digital appendage in the car. LOL

Reactions
I sometimes use a fast charger plugged into the ac outlet on the back of the console. I put the phone on the console or passanger seat. Works well. I could get a phone bracket that places in cup holder as that might make it easier.

hbalek

Reactions
I sometimes use a fast charger plugged into the ac outlet on the back of the console. I put the phone on the console or passanger seat. Works well. I could get a phone bracket that places in cup holder as that might make it easier.
Same here if I'm far from home and need a fast charge I plug it in the back. I used to do the same in my 2013 MKZ which also had an AC outlet in the back seat.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It's convenient if you're driving a couple hours and want to fully charge it without digging around for a fast charger and plugging it in. My biggest pet peeve is on hard braking it falls forward and stops charging and also getting out of the car and going inside forgetting your digital appendage in the car. LOL
Yeah true, that’s what I meant by trickle charge. But yeah more than that, it’s that it comes off the charger way too much like you said. That’s probably have the reason it doesn’t charge much lol. I also think the problem is heat. I think it cuts off when temperature gets too high.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer King Ranch 4WD 3.0T
I use my charging area for my wallet and keys... :)

JDMerica

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer 5
It's kind of irrelevant for me anyway since I always use Android auto and it has to be plugged in.