Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2022 Ford Explorer Platinum ST

Reactions
Me too! Initially I wanted the Durango Hellcat, but the interior on the Dodges feel too plastic. We'll see how close we can get performance wise with the Explorer...hopefully without breaking the bank. I hope it'll be a fun long term project :)
Durango would have had the best resale and the least amount of modifications.

Only reason I didn't grab one is because of the god awful money factor on the leases.

St feels like a bargain on the performance aspect and a few steps up in terms of tech and interior. Honestly a better daily driver with about 60-70% of the performance.

As for modding to beat a hellcat good luck, if I slap radials on my charger I'm running a 10.7ish, not to mention from a roll. On the streets from a dig awd will almost always do better than rwd until it hooks.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Thread Starter #22
Durango would have had the best resale and the least amount of modifications.
That's definitely true! But where's the fun in that? Lol I'm not sure how close I'll get, but it'll be fun trying. It'll still be a fun process. Unfortunately, as I've read @TMac say on at least one post, paraphrased, you get to a point where each dollar spent will have a diminishing return on horsepower. Time will tell...

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #23
As for modding to beat a hellcat good luck, if I slap radials on my charger I'm running a 10.7ish
Do you have the Charger Hellcat? It which model do you have? 10.7 is nothing to be ashamed of in my opinion!

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #24
Just ordered all my parts. Decided against the water/meth injection kit in favor of a ZFG E50&93 tune. Which will arrive first! Parts or Explorer?
Will likely do the slick top conversion and gear swap to match the ST gearing.

Reactions
That's definitely true! But where's the fun in that? Lol I'm not sure how close I'll get, but it'll be fun trying. It'll still be a fun process. Unfortunately, as I've read @TMac say on at least one post, paraphrased, you get to a point where each dollar spent will have a diminishing return on horsepower. Time will tell...
Yeah I get it, building a car is absolutely fun.

Though I think there are a lot of limiting reagents in the explorer st.

I think ford had a chance to do something great and did a partial good job, the 2 bolt rear subframe is bad, and then other weak components such as spark plugs, etc etc kind of put me off from going heavy on the mods.

Best bang for buck probably would be something like a tune/whipple ic/downpipes, and then exhaust is kind of up to you, catback, axleback, etc etc.

Reactions
Do you have the Charger Hellcat? It which model do you have? 10.7 is nothing to be ashamed of in my opinion!
At the moment I have a 2022 wb hc which on radials/intake will run 10.7-10.9.

I have a charger redeye on order that will run 10.6-10.7 on radials.

Honestly on the street a modded st will give rwd hellcats problems from stoplight to stoplight, once it hooks around 40-50 it will get walked down, the hellcat just pulls different at 70+

The compromise is the durango or trackhawk, way better from a dig but obviously loses some on the top end. The real interesting test will be running a modded st against the trx I have coming in next month, I'm interested to see how well the st keeps up with something that can put massive power down from a dig but isn't necessarily the best for aero at 100 mph.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #27
At the moment I have a 2022 wb hc which on radials/intake will run 10.7-10.9.

I have a charger redeye on order that will run 10.6-10.7 on radials.
Not sure how realistic this is, but I'm shooting for mid 10s. I've seen some heavily moded Hellcats running high 8s. Something tells me this isn't realistic on this platform?

The real interesting test will be running a modded st against the trx I have coming in next month, I'm interested to see how well the st keeps up with something that can put massive power down from a dig but isn't necessarily the best for aero at 100 mph.
If you're ever in the Utah area, I'd be interested in going out to the track and participating in that test :LOL:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Mid 10s will cost you! I admire your ambition, but you better think about a budget first. Forget about stock turbos, or even the upgraded turbos available from CR or Pure. The housings are too small on the bolt-on stockers. So plan on moving to a single turbo platform or a custom twin turbo setup. Of course that will entail a lot of fabrication since you're out of the bolt on stage. You'll also have to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors and run e85 or something similar. You'll also have to go into the engine- at minimum custom valve springs since you're going to have to increase the rev limit. The only reasonable $$ way would be with nitrous, which of course has it's own drawbacks, but will be the least expensive dollar wise- until the inevitable rod bearing or head gasket failure. Not that it can't be done, but how much are you willing to pay to do it?

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #29
Mid 10s will cost you! I admire your ambition, but you better think about a budget first. Forget about stock turbos, or even the upgraded turbos available from CR or Pure. The housings are too small on the bolt-on stockers. So plan on moving to a single turbo platform or a custom twin turbo setup. Of course that will entail a lot of fabrication since you're out of the bolt on stage. You'll also have to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors and run e85 or something similar. You'll also have to go into the engine- at minimum custom valve springs since you're going to have to increase the rev limit. The only reasonable $$ way would be with nitrous, which of course has it's own drawbacks, but will be the least expensive dollar wise- until the inevitable rod bearing or head gasket failure. Not that it can't be done, but how much are you willing to pay to do it?
THAT is the big question, isn't it? :LOL: Right now, admittedly, its all ambition (hopes and dreams if you will...). I'll start with bolt ons and tunes and see how far that takes me. After that I'll have to dig into the research to see what can be done and at what price point and will have to make the determination at that point. I'm hoping someone will come out with a bigger turbo, though admittedly I don't even know if their location allows for anything bigger nor if the market is big enough to justify something like that. At the end of the day, I don't know what this engine is capable of while still maintaining some semblance of reliability. My ambitions are often greater than reality and have to be reigned in :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for your feedback and your many writeups throughout this forum!

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I assume this isn't to be your primary vehicle? By the way, which track are you referring to in Utah?

Last edited:
OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #31
I assume this isn't to be your primary vehicle?
You know the more we discuss my "ambitious" goals, the more I realize they may not be the most realistic. This would be my daily driver even though I'm talking about it as if it were going to be a track car. Thanks all for helping me see reality :LOL:

By the way, which take are you referring to in Utah?
I'm not sure I follow?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
@PlatinumST I meant which track are you referring to? I'm not aware of a 1/4 mile track in the area since they closed the Larry H. Miller one. Even a mid to high 11's is tough to keep as a driver at our altitude.

2PAC

Reactions
You know the more we discuss my "ambitious" goals, the more I realize they may not be the most realistic. This would be my daily driver even though I'm talking about it as if it were going to be a track car. Thanks all for helping me see reality :LOL:

I'm not sure I follow?
I would keep it simple, there has been talks of an rs version as well, I think the 3.0 is good for bolt ons but once you go after 10s you are going to have to put a lot of money and sacrifice a lot of reliability as well.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #34
@PlatinumST I meant which track are you referring to? I'm not aware of a 1/4 mile track in the area since they closed the Larry H. Miller one. Even a mid to high 11's is tough to keep as a driver at our altitude.
Well poo. My brother was talking about taking our cars out to a track in Erda. Turns out they don't currently have a drag strip, though unsubstantiated rumor has it they're wanting to build one.

Do we have to go out of state for a good drag strip?

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Sadly, I'm not aware of any drag strip in UT. I used to go to Rocky Mountain (Larry Miller) all of the time but not in the past 10 years, I'm thinking it's been closed for 5 or 6 years. They still have the Sports Park road course but no dragstrip.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Durango would have had the best resale and the least amount of modifications ...
2021 Durango Hellcat base price (not sold in 2022) = $80,995
2022 Durango SRT 392 base price = $68,195
2022 Explorer ST base price = $48,245

That's a huge difference, to say the least.
Sure, Durango 392 requires the least amount of modifications, but it also costs a whopping $20k more.
Get a $600 tune for the ST and it's easily running nose-to-nose with the 392 and you can pocket over $19k.

Last edited:
Reactions
2021 Durango Hellcat base price (not sold in 2022) = $80,995
2022 Durango SRT 392 base price = $68,195
2022 Explorer ST base price = $48,245

That's a huge difference, to say the least.
Sure, Durango 392 requires the least amount of modifications, but it also costs a whopping $20k more.
Get a $600 tune for the ST and it's easily running nose-to-nose with the 392 and you can pocket over $19k.
True and start adding your packages to the SRT and you will be close to 80K. Not to mention that MPG in the SRT is a killer (but nothing beats the sound of a hefty V8). The Durango RT is more on par in price with the ST though, but its performance is lack luster.

CareerFiremanGuy

1000 Post Club
Firefighter/EMT
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
True and start adding your packages to the SRT and you will be close to 80K. Not to mention that MPG in the SRT is a killer (but nothing beats the sound of a hefty V8). The Durango RT is more on par in price with the ST though, but its performance is lack luster.
Correct. I did a quick inventory search on Dodge's website for the Durango SRT 392 and every one was ~$80k on dealer's lots.
Maybe a 1/2 sec quicker acceleration time is worth an additional $20k-$30k to some people, but not to me.
Everything about the ST is what I was looking for, and my current combined 19 mpg is not too shabby either!

Reactions
mid-10s is going to be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Hell, breaking into the 10's is expensive AF. I believe there are only 2? Theo and Kevin.....anyone else?

Better put your Platinum (not ST) on a major diet and open your wallet.

"Everyone has a plan until I punch them in the mouth" - Mike Tyson.

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #40
"Everyone has a plan until I punch them in the mouth" - Mike Tyson.
I'm definitely taking some punches to the mouth right now! lol Reality checks, while painful, are good to receive.

Thanks all for your honest feedback!