Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 ST Won’t Start

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Hi all. I bought a 2021 ST in mid June and am experiencing the second occurrence of my car not starting. Autozone tested the battery as ok and the current voltage is 12.8v - good.

However, she won’t start. What could be going on here? Every time I trickle charge the battery to 12.8 and higher and try to start, the voltage drops to about 10.5

hbalek

Reactions
Hi all. I bought a 2021 ST in mid June and am experiencing the second occurrence of my car not starting. Autozone tested the battery as ok and the current voltage is 12.8v - good.

However, she won’t start. What could be going on here? Every time I trickle charge the battery to 12.8 and higher and try to start, the voltage drops to about 10.5
How full was the gas tank? I've had it crank and not start when fuel is low parked on an incline. If it doesn't crank at all it's an electrical problem I guess. I would get it towed to the dealer if under warranty. That's what roadside is for, which lasts through the powertrain warranty.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
How full was the gas tank? I've had it crank and not start when fuel is low parked on an incline. If it doesn't crank at all it's an electrical problem I guess. I would get it towed to the dealer if under warranty. That's what roadside is for, which lasts through the powertrain warranty.
This just happened to me, thank goodness for this forum! I almost called the tow truck but put two gallons in after reading this post and it fired right up.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST

I know a few members that have had issues with starting. After trying to charge and still no good it seems like the battery is a good place to start. Deff get to the dealer if under warranty to have them check.

With a new battery the programing afterwards was needed on last vehicle for me. The car didn't know a new battery was put in so continued to try and save power and wouldn't let me start it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Celt

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
good info, when parked on an incline with low fuel does this issue happen with nose down or nose up? my 19 Tundra that I just traded in for my 23 st would not start on low fuel if nose down on an incline, so when i parked it with low fuel id park nose high to avoid this issue. I have a fairly steep driveway.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
good info, when parked on an incline with low fuel does this issue happen with nose down or nose up? my 19 Tundra that I just traded in for my 23 st would not start on low fuel if nose down on an incline, so when i parked it with low fuel id park nose high to avoid this issue. I have a fairly steep driveway.
Mine was nose down this past weekend when it happened

Celt

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
I back into my driveway and it's down hill, so nose down I guess.
Nose down it is. Just like my tundra. Good to know so ill be sure to park nose uphill when low on fuel.

hbalek

Reactions
Nose down it is. Just like my tundra. Good to know so ill be sure to park nose uphill when low on fuel.
I hate parking uphill with this thing because the hood scoop fills with rain water. Another terrible design flaw!