Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 ST making a "clunk" while backing

EAB783

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I have a 2021 ST with just shy of 36k miles. For the last 5 months or so, I've had a noise that sounds like it's coming from the passenger rear end. It only happens when I'm in reverse, such as pulling into my driveway or a parking spot, and usually after a short drive. It's a single, solid clunk. BUT, it doesn't happen every time, maybe half the time. And not when the service tech is in the car and I'm trying to demonstrate. My local Ford dealership has had it twice and replaced both rear shocks, and I called them again this morning after just getting it back, it did it when I got home from work last night and again when I arrived at work this morning. (The service manager drove it himself and made it do it 3 times, so he's got firsthand experience.) They say that everything under the car looks good and is in spec, but this can't be normal. What could it be??

Reactions
Vehicle
BMW X5, Black 2020 ST
Just my guess but maybe a loose bolt on control arm. Good luck!

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Super common thing that drove me nuts for the longest time. There is a TSB I believe for this it's just hard to explain to someone and sort through the thousands of TSB's that are out. This video is the perfect thing to show them. Sent to service manager and he understood right away. Easy fix while they worked on the rear camera recall. Haven't heard it since fixed months ago!

2020 and Up Ford Explorer Ting Pop Fix - When put in Reverse and Drive Makes And Metalic Tingyoutube.com

Explorer ST Posts