Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 ST didn’t start this morning!

Sam0608

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
So on 12/18 I was at a light with the auto stop-start function on and when traffic started moving my car turned off completely. Put the car in park, it started up and got to my destination. Called ford, they said might just be a one off and if it happened again to call in for it to be looked at, nothing else happened until 12/24, it did it again. So I planned on scheduling a service for tomorrow (12/29), today. I have not driven it since 12/25. Get in it today and it won’t start. All power is working and it is clicking but won’t turn over. Called ford and had it towed this morning, was trying to search around the forum to see if anyone else has had this experience but did not see anything. Anyone know what it could be? Also I needed to get it looked at anyway because I keep hearing squeaking when going over the smallest bumps in the road, sounds like it’s coming from front right side but not sure because I know nothing about cars. Back story to this was that when I initially purchased the car there was a hard grinding noise coming from front right side and had it looked at and they said something along the lines that the tire was not bolted into the axle or something during the manufacturing. Not sure if anyone had experienced this either so thought I would throw that in this post too.

OP
S

Sam0608

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #2
So the towing company did not leave my key in the car so ford was not even able to work on it yesterday. Finally got a message for the tow guy saying he dropped the key in the drop box last night. This morning, got these messages on the ford app, so I guess they are working on it. Waiting for a call. Y’all know what these are?

Attachments

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
My 2020 used to get those Deep Sleep mode notices constantly, got the dealer to reflash several of the computers and finally got them to replace the (already replaced) battery and have never had it since. I suspect I just had a couple original lemon batteries that the latest one fixed the issue.

OP
S

Sam0608

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #4
They called and said the pawl solenoid is bad and have to get that part before they can run it for any other codes. I told them prior to it not starting at all that the auto stop/start function happening at traffic lights - letting of the brake for the car to completely turn off (only happened twice). Not sure if it’s related. Also brought up the squeaking noise happening when going over the smallest bumps and grinding noise when taking sharper turns. Hopefully they can see what that is about too. I’ll update.

OP
S

Sam0608

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #5
My 2020 used to get those Deep Sleep mode notices constantly, got the dealer to reflash several of the computers and finally got them to replace the (already replaced) battery and have never had it since. I suspect I just had a couple original lemon batteries that the latest one fixed the issue.
I had a 2018 limited that I purchased new too and the transmission was faulty that caused that deep sleep thing too! That one shut completely off in a three lane with no power steering to get out of the way, haha. I feel like I’m not having the best of luck with new vehicles haha.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Did you recently purchase this 2021 or you bought it new in 2021? Just asking to see if there is unknown history about your ST.

OP
S

Sam0608

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thread Starter #7
Did you recently purchase this 2021 or you bought it new in 2021? Just asking to see if there is unknown history about your ST.
Bought it new in 2021, has 27,000 miles. Getting close to being out of warranty for these things to start happening. Probably going to look into an extended warranty just to be safe.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Bought it new in 2021, has 27,000 miles. Getting close to being out of warranty for these things to start happening. Probably going to look into an extended warranty just to be safe.
Good idea if you plan to keep it a while.