Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2021 Ford Explorer ST Stalls/Hesitates in Sport Mode on HWY

robs90

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I wanted to share that I had my 2021 new Ford Explorer ST stalling out on the highway (in sport mode) while trying to make a pass during heavy traffic (only to have my Explorer bog and stall when I would floor it multiple consecutive times in a row). This could have killed someone!!!! I ended calling Ford Customer Care about it (knowing my local dealer is hit and miss), which turned out to be the best way to go. The first call I received from my service advisor was "There are no error codes and we were not able to reproduce the problem." Ford ended up engaging their top engineering team to assist the local dealership. They were able to duplicate this issue through an advanced road test (the dealer said it was called a "wiggle test") where they would jiggle certain wires while accelerating on the highway. From there, they replaced the "Gateway Module" but must have been able to reproduce the problem as there was another electrical component that worked with the ECU that they replaced. I was down for almost 4 straight weeks but got a call from Ford letting me know that the car is ready and good to go. I wanted to share my story here as I seen others having this problem as well.

Car is stock (K&N Drop-in Filter only), no tune, no aftermarket exhaust, and less than 5,000 miles on the odometer.

Reactions
I wanted to share that I had my 2021 new Ford Explorer ST stalling out on the highway (in sport mode) while trying to make a pass during heavy traffic (only to have my Explorer bog and stall when I would floor it multiple consecutive times in a row). This could have killed someone!!!! I ended calling Ford Customer Care about it (knowing my local dealer is hit and miss), which turned out to be the best way to go. The first call I received from my service advisor was "There are no error codes and we were not able to reproduce the problem." Ford ended up engaging their top engineering team to assist the local dealership. They were able to duplicate this issue through an advanced road test (the dealer said it was called a "wiggle test") where they would jiggle certain wires while accelerating on the highway. From there, they replaced the "Gateway Module" but must have been able to reproduce the problem as there was another electrical component that worked with the ECU that they replaced. I was down for almost 4 straight weeks but got a call from Ford letting me know that the car is ready and good to go. I wanted to share my story here as I seen others having this problem as well.

Car is stock (K&N Drop-in Filter only), no tune, no aftermarket exhaust, and less than 5,000 miles on the odometer.
Hey, thank you. I have that same issue in every mode. Do you have any additional details you can share? I could provide what you share with my dealer, but I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t do anything. And I too, almost got into an accident when my car simply wouldn’t move and the pedal was to the metal so to speak. I have driven other Ford explore ST‘s, and they all have the same issue. So I thought my car was performing as expected. This makes me wonder if they should recall that part you mentioned on the first generation and second generation of this vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F=MA

Reactions
I have had zero issues for 14 months until recently. This bog on acceleration has happened three times over the last month or so with me. It is usually when I am pulling away from stop sign, turning left, sometimes a slight downhill grade. Press the gas and it gets rolling as I turn then I add more gas and it does not respond as the gas pedal gets pressed further down and then it recovers and continues on and I can't repeat the event. 13,000 miles. Whipple intercooler, ZFG E50 tune, Magnaflow 2.5 inch exhaust, K&N air filter.

Reactions
I have had zero issues for 14 months until recently. This bog on aceleration has happened three times over the last month or so with me. It is usually when I am pulling away from stop sign, turning left, sometimes a slight downhill grade. Press the gas and it gets rolling as I turn then I add more gas and it does not respond as the gas pedal gets pressed further down and then it recovers and continues on and I can't repeat the event. 13,000 miles. Whipple intercooler, ZFG E50 tune, Magnaflow 2.5 inch exhaust, K&N air filter.
18K miles on the odo - I just had a similar experience with my ST. Sometime, light presses on the throttle would cause stumbling. However, the stumbling got so bad, ECM threw codes, P0205 and P0305... Going to the dealer Monday...

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Hey, thank you. I have that same issue in every mode. Do you have any additional details you can share? I could provide what you share with my dealer, but I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t do anything. And I too, almost got into an accident when my car simply wouldn’t move and the pedal was to the metal so to speak. I have driven other Ford explore ST‘s, and they all have the same issue. So I thought my car was performing as expected. This makes me wonder if they should recall that part you mentioned on the first generation and second generation of this vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Other Exploders having the same issue? I assure you this is not the norm. As you probably already know these trouble codes point to issues with the injector circut. I'll be most interested in reading what you find out.

Reactions
18K miles on the odo - I just had a similar experience with my ST. Sometime, light presses on the throttle would cause stumbling. However, the stumbling got so bad, ECM threw codes, P0205 and P0305... Going to the dealer Monday...

Dealer found #5 injector bad. Parts are on national backorder :| 2 more weeks before the parts will arrive. Not happy.....