Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

2020 ST tail lights

Eguitar83

Reactions
Hi all. 1st post! What options are out there to darken or blackout those bright red tail lights?

Covers? Tint?

Thanks!

STHUDZ

Reactions
Hi all. 1st post! What options are out there to darken or blackout those bright red tail lights?

Covers? Tint?

Thanks!
There is a guy I saw on youtube that used a film that he could adjust for the contour with a heat gun. Ill look for it and upload if I find it.

92onward

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
You can tint it, I get my tint from luxe auto concepts. They have universal tints in different styles like matte, gloss, metal. Even with the darkest shade you can still see your turning lights etc

Reactions
Rvinyl makes a pre-cut kit. Lots of options relatively low cost...I went with the regular "Smoke" tint color and I love it. I didn't want completely "blacked" out because of the Silver Spruce color of my truck. It's more of a dark "maroon'ed out" look.

All depends on what color vehicle you have and what look you're going for IMO... but here's the link below and a video of it installed. (*I also did the fog lights and left the headlights alone because they are somewhat tinted already - again personal preference)

https://www.rvinyl.com/Ford-Ex...2020-2020-Tail-Light-Tint.html

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7NcMzP8qU134Svdq5

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions
Rvinyl makes a pre-cut kit. Lots of options relatively low cost...I went with the regular "Smoke" tint color and I love it. I didn't want completely "blacked" out because of the Silver Spruce color of my truck. It's more of a dark "maroon'ed out" look.

All depends on what color vehicle you have and what look you're going for IMO... but here's the link below and a video of it installed. (*I also did the fog lights and left the headlights alone because they are somewhat tinted already - again personal preference)

https://www.rvinyl.com/Ford-Ex...2020-2020-Tail-Light-Tint.html

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7NcMzP8qU134Svdq5
So I just received my pre-cut kit from RVinyl and it's missing a large section of the tail light. Was yours missing this too or did they mess up my order?!

Attachments

Chief28

Reactions
So I just received my pre-cut kit from RVinyl and it's missing a large section of the tail light. Was yours missing this too or did they mess up my order?!
Checking in for an update. Did you end up installing the tint or returning it? Looking to purchase a kit from RVinyl. Thanks

Reactions
Returned and they tried to charge me all sorts of restocking, shipping etc. but i got all $$ back eventually

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Just use Lamin-X, they are way better and their customer service is awesome.

Reactions
Im curious, are you referring to the Lamin-X kit for our trucks or just lamin-x vinyl/sheets in general? I've kind of given up on the prospect of tinting my tails after trying to wrap them by hand with some cheap Amazon rolls/tint

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I bought pre-cut kits for the headlights, taillights, rear markers, and front fogs. They all fit perfect and application was a breeze. I wouldn't do paint PPF from them (have a pro do it by hand and use a product like XPEL), but their other stuff is awesome.

Reactions
I bought pre-cut kits for the headlights, taillights, rear markers, and front fogs. They all fit perfect and application was a breeze. I wouldn't do paint PPF from them (have a pro do it by hand and use a product like XPEL), but their other stuff is awesome.
Did the tail kit come with the rear white light section?

Blackssr

Reactions
Returned and they tried to charge me all sorts of restocking, shipping etc. but i got all $$ back eventually
Not cool on their end.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST

Chief28

Reactions
Thanks, have you since tinted the tail lights? It appears the pre cut kits do not cover the entire light.

Chief28

Reactions
Thanks for the recommendation...checked out their website and under the product description they state the kit does not cover the entire light. Did you experience this?

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thanks for the recommendation...checked out their website and under the product description they state the kit does not cover the entire light. Did you experience this?
good catch. i didn't even notice that. i like the red, so I just did the reverse/turn covers... thats super odd they would do that. i guess it pays to read the product description and reviews. :geek:

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Are the ST taillights tinted on the sides? Some angles it looks really dark, other times I can’t tell. It’s a different twilight than the other models right?

Reactions
Are the ST taillights tinted on the sides? Some angles it looks really dark, other times I can’t tell. It’s a different twilight than the other models right?
Are you sure you’re not looking at 2020 ST’s int some pics, and 2021+ ST’s in others? I believe the 2021+ ST’s are more tinted from the factory vs the 2020’s.