Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

20" aftermarket wheel thoughts?

Beast1

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST, 2019 Redeye Widebody
I am considering a 20x9.5 29 offset forgestar with Continental DWS 06 295/45/r20 for my 22 ST. According to the tire/wheel calculators online it looks like it should fit nicely, anyone have any input for me? Don't really want to go up to 22"

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Depends on the look and ride you are going for. Definitely lose some comfort with 22's and a shorter sidewall but I really like the look. Don't see why your combo wouldn't work, depending on what you are after.

OP
B

Beast1

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 ST, 2019 Redeye Widebody
Thread Starter #3
Depends on the look and ride you are going for. Definitely lose some comfort with 22's and a shorter sidewall but I really like the look. Don't see why your combo wouldn't work, depending on what you are after.
looking for comfort this is my daily. We've got some ugly roads around here and I have forgelines on my Redeye, don't need my daily stressing me out too.

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
looking for comfort this is my daily. We've got some ugly roads around here and I have forgelines on my Redeye, don't need my daily stressing me out too.
I hear yah. Thin sidewalls, expensive wheels, and shitty roads is a lousy combination.

Jon_Solo

Reactions
We switched from the 21" ST wheels to a 20x10.5 wheel wrapped in 295/45R20 General UHPs and we love the look and the ride. The average observer seeing a vehicle driving down the road, at a stoplight, or sitting in a parking lot isn't noticing the 1" difference in a 21" vs a 20" but they do spot the extra width of the 295. With lowering springs, wider tire, and +30 offset it has the look it should have had from Ford.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have 20x9.5 with 285/50s. 33 offset. While most of the trucks here with 22s look great, I've always preferred small wheels and thicker sidewall. I went with 285/50 over 295/45 to get even more sidewall going. Explorer side 2.jpg

Last edited:

StarWhite22

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
MikeyP what wheels are those? Very sharp. Great looking stance.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
MikeyP what wheels are those? Very sharp. Great looking stance.
Thanks! They're RTR Tech 5. It's a S550 Mustang wheel.

They're flow formed, so not quite as light or expensive as most of the people here rocking forged 22s, but I still dropped 9 pounds per corner even with the extra width and sidewall height over the stock 20s.

StarWhite22

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Yea those are sharp. I’m looking to keep the stock 20s and use them for winter and get a set of 20s for the spring summer fall and get a little beefier tire as well to fill up the wheel well. Not going to do springs for awhile if at all. What type of tires you running? How are they?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
What type of tires you running? How are they?
285/50 Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS Plus. They were on sale when I got the wheels, and had pretty good reviews. I have no issues with them, they're quiet and with 15K miles on them look nearly new. I don't experience snow in SoCal, but they do just fine in the wet. Now if you can swing the price, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV would be the way to go!

Dphan67

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
285/50 Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS Plus. They were on sale when I got the wheels, and had pretty good reviews. I have no issues with them, they're quiet and with 15K miles on them look nearly new. I don't experience snow in SoCal, but they do just fine in the wet. Now if you can swing the price, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV would be the way to go!
MikeyP, did you order those wheels direct or were you able to locate locally? I like the look but so far only found them on the RTR site.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
The 20 setup with rim and tire would be lighter than a stock 21 setup correct?

Trying to decide between keeping 21s that is has now in the street pack or drop a tire size down. Daily and road trip car with some back road fun driving. Ug to many choices.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
The 20 setup with rim and tire would be lighter than a stock 21 setup correct?

Trying to decide between keeping 21s that is has now in the street pack or drop a tire size down. Daily and road trip car with some back road fun driving. Ug to many choices.
That depends on the wheel you pick. Lets say it is lighter its not gonna be enough for you to notice if thats what you mean?
I love the stock wheels I can not remember the last time I didnt change the wheels on a car. I typically do that first even before performance upgrades.
Im leaving these on but thats just me.