Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

18" Black Rhinos & Duratracs

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #21
Thanks KJE! Best of luck with ur setup!

BlancoST

Reactions
Finally got my "more tire, less rim" setup completed. We live in rural Kansas and needed a heavier tire to avoid flats. After many hours of scouring the internet, blogs, Fb Marketplace, wheel/tire calculators, etc., I finally decided on a setup that I thought would work well and look "less aftermarket, more OEM." I decided on the following:

Traxda Lift Kit #102070 - 1.5″Front & 1.5″ Rear
CJPony Parts Wheel Spacers Black 5-Lug
Part Number: WHSP26-V
2012 Mustang GT 18" wheels, bead blasted and powder coated
Yokahama Geolander AT G015 - LT275/65R18
Black 14x1.5 Closed End XL Bulge Acorn Lug Nuts

The lift kit by Traxda came with a few challenges, but in the end accomplished exactly what I wanted it to. Below is a link to the directions and a .pdf to a similar kit (there is no .pdf for the newer kit availabe) if you are planning to install one of these kits.

https://traxdaliftkits.com/product/2020-ford-explorer-1-5front-1-5-rear/

https://traxdaliftkits.com/wp-conte...-Ford-Explorer-102060-102070-instructions.pdf

https://liftkits4less.com/media/catalog/product/t/r/traxda_102040_instructions.pdf

Attachments

Reactions
When you get a chance....can you take a pic from the side with more light on the wheels? Maybe that's asking too much...:oops:

BlancoST

Reactions
Thank you! Will do.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I can confirm now that the 0.75” front spacers BARELY fit. They rub the wheel liner ever so slightly but give it the perfect amount of tire poke. No binding from lock to lock. A 1” spacer would def hung up so I got very lucky.

View attachment 4475 View attachment 4476 View attachment 4477
I'm totally new to wheel/tire replacements and have been doing a lot of research lately on everything and have some questions I was hoping maybe you could answer.

I was looking at purchasing a winter set (wheel and tire) as I live in Minnesota and was looking at the Black Rhino Arches with those same Duratrac tires.

Are spacers required to make clearance for the brakes or in your case is it purely aesthetic to show the tires more? Are they required if you get 265/65-18 tires? I just don't understand the spacers in general. I'm just worried they won't fit even though Discount Tire says they will.

Like I said I'm new to purchasing tires, but from the looks of the tire tread that come stock with the High Performance package I'm going to need a beefier tread MN.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Ford Explorer V6 Hybrid
For those (few) of us that want some meaty tires, I took the plunge and rolled the dice to see if they'd work. Still waiting on the rears to arrive this week.
Looks awesome! Want to put the same tires. Yea, more rubber less rims!!! For 265/65R18 on your first post did you use spacers or lift kit? How I understand you tried to put spacers 0.75 a little after and it barely worked? So do you need spacers at all or it’s working pretty well without them?
One more time a big thank you for sharing the information!

Reactions
Vehicle
‘21 Explorer ST
I can confirm now that the 0.75” front spacers BARELY fit. They rub the wheel liner ever so slightly but give it the perfect amount of tire poke. No binding from lock to lock. A 1” spacer would def hung up so I got very lucky.
Love that look! I should be getting a similar setup any day now. Are your spacer the slip on style? I’m concerned about not having enough thread on the studs to get a secure fit.