Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

18" Black Rhinos & Duratracs

Reactions
For those (few) of us that want some meaty tires, I took the plunge and rolled the dice to see if they'd work. Still waiting on the rears to arrive this week.

Attachments

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Yeah , that's meaty.
I like the looks,
Wonder how it's going to affect ride and handling.

Looks like it's ready for off road for sure.

Jim

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Thanks! Ride should be quite a bit better than the stock 21s as the larger sidewall makes for a much cushier ride. I've had Duratracs on my last 4 vehicles and love the look, ride, and offroad traction. Very quiet on the road too. Handling shouldnt change much and my track is now about 0.6" wider than stock.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
More pics when you get all 4 on.

Jim

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
What are the measurements on the wheels and tires? Going to have some snow this week, and need a simple winter set like this.

KJE

Reactions
Nice job, more rubber less rim has always been my philosophy too.
I’m hoping to get my vehicle ( Black also) in a few weeks and fit the Black Rhino Arsenal 18” with Toyo
Open Road A/T 3 in either 285/65/18 or if it will fit even with minor trimming the 305/65/18 - then go for the flat top look with the roof rails removed..

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Nice job, more rubber less rim has always been my philosophy too.
I’m hoping to get my vehicle ( Black also) in a few weeks and fit the Black Rhino Arsenal 18” with Toyo
Open Road A/T 3 in either 285/65/18 or if it will fit even with minor trimming the 305/65/18 - then go for the flat top look with the roof rails removed..
Thanks man! I dont want to burst your bubble but I am about 195% sure the 285/65r18s wont fit without rubbing in the front and by rubbing I mean there's a very high prob that you wont even be able to turn the wheel from lock to lock lol. My 265s clear by just enough to be safe. I tried to add a 1.25" spacer on the front and there was significant rubbing. 285s are taller and wider than my 265s so you'd be rubbing hard in every direction IMO. Ya might be able to drive in a straight line but that's it lol.

KJE

Reactions
Oh my bubble has been burst many times. You might well be right as you have been there. I’ll wait till I get mine, pop it on the hoist and see how much clearance there is for between the tire and the bottom perch and what lies behind the fender liner, I’m thinking on the cab side probably the sheet metal for the footwells and if so I won’t touch and go your route.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Yea the WK2s had pinch welds we could trim down and safely run 32”s but i think the tire was hitting the footwell area on the Explorer when i tried to get frisky with the 1.25” spacer. I like to push the limits so I do have a set of 0.75” spacers coming for the front so I’m thinking that’ll be maxed out on my rig.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Appreciate all the information
When I was doing mine there wasnt a lot of info to go off of so I rolled the dice a bit and got lucky. I hope this helps you to make a more educated roll lol so you dont end up with a set of sweet wheels/tires you cant use!

KJE

Reactions
Again, I appreciate. I too have been first guy out the gate with grinding wheel and plasma cutter on a number of cars and trucks I have modified in the past, so it’s real nice to be able to benefit from someone sharing the results of their efforts for a change.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
Again, I appreciate. I too have been first guy out the gate with grinding wheel and plasma cutter on a number of cars and trucks I have modified in the past, so it’s real nice to be able to benefit from someone sharing the results of their efforts for a change.
Amen to that brotha! Plasma cutter is the point of no return haha

KJE

Reactions
Got the ST yesterday and as you said, not much space to work with under that wheel well. I’m looking at the Black Rhino Arsenals in 18” also with 30 offset which I think is the same as yours.
Looking for quiet tires and have always run Toyo A/T’s as they were real quiet, but all other vehicles were cab on frame so not sure if the sound will be louder on this vehicle.
Would like to stay at least as wide as stock and so the 285/60/18 is the same dia/sidewall as your set up just ¾”wider which should be ok.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
Got the ST yesterday and as you said, not much space to work with under that wheel well. I’m looking at the Black Rhino Arsenals in 18” also with 30 offset which I think is the same as yours.
Looking for quiet tires and have always run Toyo A/T’s as they were real quiet, but all other vehicles were cab on frame so not sure if the sound will be louder on this vehicle.
Would like to stay at least as wide as stock and so the 285/60/18 is the same dia/sidewall as your set up just ¾”wider which should be ok.
Congrats on the ST! I would dble check ur width specs though because my 265/65r18s were supposed to be narrower but Goodyear specs them at exact same width as the stock 21”

I will know this weekend whether my front tires with a 0.75” spacer will clear which should give you even more insight into ur setup.

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #19
I can confirm now that the 0.75” front spacers BARELY fit. They rub the wheel liner ever so slightly but give it the perfect amount of tire poke. No binding from lock to lock. A 1” spacer would def hung up so I got very lucky.

52FB5EA2-2642-40DE-9769-5786BBC027E5.jpeg B1F6E0F0-7186-4C18-9E02-DF783240B23F.jpeg A0D2F836-FD22-4670-AD37-64DD5D3AA450.jpeg

KJE

Reactions
I don’t believe in luck – it was meant to be and looks perfect - props
I’m told that my rims are heading North from your US of A and I am fortunate to have a good tire guy who will fit one tire/size of my choice on the rim and leave the labels on for me to take back and try on the vehicle – to evaluate and make adjustments to size if necessary.
My hope is still for a quiet tire a little wider and a little taller