Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

1.5 months old, doesn't start :(

elvets

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Well, this sucks... Got my Explorer ST December 15th, doesn't start today.

Lots of error messages shown in the dashboard, engine doesn't turn on and there's a ticking sound coming from the engine...

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Have you checked your battery?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
New car or new-to-you?

Telling you, an OBD2 scanner is an indispensable tool for all modern cars. For Ford, I'd recommend getting the OBDLink MX+ and Forscan Lite for Android or iOS.

OP
E

elvets

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Have you checked your battery?
Yeah, tried to jumpstart, to no avail.
New car or new-to-you?

Telling you, an OBD2 scanner is an indispensable tool for all modern cars. For Ford, I'd recommend getting the OBDLink MX+ and Forscan Lite for Android or iOS.
Completely new car thus also new to me :) I'll look into that. Would Forscan be able to tell me _exactly_ what is going wrong?

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your vehicle problems. Hope you get it going or repaired.

MillerW001

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions

Lots of error messages shown in the dashboard, engine doesn't turn on and there's a ticking sound coming from the engine...
Two days after we picked up our 2021, exact same symptoms. Troubleshooting revealed it was a bad battery. Shorted cell may prevent being able to jump the car while battery still connected.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Two days after we picked up our 2021, exact same symptoms. Troubleshooting revealed it was a bad battery. Shorted cell may prevent being able to jump the car while battery still connected.
Welcome to the forum.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

Congratulations, I think, and welcome to the forum.

Really sounds like a battery issue but as @Cdubya said, a scan will reveal more. Hope you get this resolved soon and back on the road.

OP
E

elvets

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
Update: car starts fine this morning :D I did get a message from FordPass during the night that my Ford entered Deep Sleep to preserve battery... Going to get it serviced tomorrow (if it still starts)

Oof :( Would disconnecting the battery and then jumpstarting work?

I'll for sure look into a scan tool.

hbalek

Reactions
Update: car starts fine this morning :D I did get a message from FordPass during the night that my Ford entered Deep Sleep to preserve battery... Going to get it serviced tomorrow (if it still starts)

Oof :( Would disconnecting the battery and then jumpstarting work?

I'll for sure look into a scan tool.
I would call roadside and have them either jump it or tow it to the dealer. You have a full warranty you should take advantage of with the ST. I've had a slew of problems from day one and roadside has been used 3 or 4 times.

OP
E

elvets

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
Was able to drive to the dealership, car stopped working again at the dealership, so that's "good" in a sense :) They found the issue, the BJB connector wasn't fully seated in BJB. They were surprised the car started at all.

Anway, is fixed now, hopefully that's the first and last issue :D

OP
E

elvets

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
Car is now 5 months old and the exact same symptoms happened over the weekend. Car needed to be towed again :(

Reactions
Vehicle
2x 2023 Explorer STs
Hopefully they can figure it out. However, I would keep track of all these visits.... you wouldn't be the first to have a lemon/buyback claim.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
How often do you drive it? I have to keep mine on a charger because it's not my daily driver. Auto stop start, a lot of driving with the headlights on, and short trips do not help.

OP
E

elvets

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
Hopefully they can figure it out. However, I would keep track of all these visits.... you wouldn't be the first to have a lemon/buyback claim.
Bent pin on BCMC and a not fully secure pin on the connector to the BCMC... I'm keeping a record of it all and to be fair, Ford Canada already reached out to me as well.

How often do you drive it? I have to keep mine on a charger because it's not my daily driver. Auto stop start, a lot of driving with the headlights on, and short trips do not help.
It's my daily driver and it's not the battery :)