Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ZFG93 baseline

Golec

Reactions
How much of a difference is there between the baseline tune and the finished product?

i realize this is probably a stupid question, I’m just anxious and want to know what to expect..

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Here is an example of stock (red) 93 tune (blue) and E50 (green) on AWD dyno. At least in this case about 100hp.
1649788751927.jpeg

OP
Golec

Golec

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Here is an example of stock (red) 93 tune (blue) and E50 (green) on AWD dyno. At least in this case about 100hp.
View attachment 11554
I was asking more about the baseline 93 tune you get sent in order to data log the pull in 3rd or 4th gear, not the factory tune.

promising numbers though

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
"i realize this is probably a stupid question, I’m just anxious and want to know what to expect..'

I agree, it is a stupid question.

That graph is what you can expect.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I think it's a good question. I'd like to see someone do dragy runs with the baseline tune and the finished product. I would assume the baseline tune would be equivalent to a canned tune and the finished product accounts for variables in the individual car. My question I've wondered is how much variability is there in an otherwise stock car? Not talking about personal preferences a particular driver likes it to be.

OP
Golec

Golec

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
"i realize this is probably a stupid question, I’m just anxious and want to know what to expect..'

I agree, it is a stupid question.

That graph is what you can expect.
appreciate the help bud.

does that graph show the “baseline” 93 tune.
I think it's a good question. I'd like to see someone do dragy runs with the baseline tune and the finished product. I would assume the baseline tune would be equivalent to a canned tune and the finished product accounts for variables in the individual car. My question I've wondered is how much variability is there in an otherwise stock car? Not talking about personal preferences a particular driver likes it to be.
Exactly..

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I personally will not drive a lot on a first round tune before logging. Upload the tune, run my logging, then put the stock tune back in until I get the refined tune. I just don't feel comfortable driving a lot and beating on it with a canned tune. Too much risk of doing harm if something is off.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I think it's a good question. I'd like to see someone do dragy runs with the baseline tune and the finished product..
And what possible use would this information be?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
And what possible use would this information be?
It would answer the question of whether a "custom" tune is warranted for bone stock vehicles.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Yep, here's the truth- you're curious whether an @ZFGracing baseline tune is the same as Joe-Bob's tune which is cheaper $. I can definitely see that if you want to save some money you can buy something else. If you thought for a moment, you'd see it will never be an apples-apples comparison. Just go buy whatever you can afford and are happy with. The question you should be asking is whether a custom tune that makes 440 whp on 93 on a completely stock ST is worth the extra money to you. Whatever baseline tune he's using is just to look for logging data to see where the limits are- as well as to accommodate those who've added other upgrades. If you've done no upgrades and don't plan to, buy a less expensive tune and enjoy it.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
The baseline tune isn’t for you to drive on…it’s to datalog so Adam can get a good idea of what YOUR car is doing so he can refine anything that needs refining and also dial in any preferences you have like shifting, etc.
My 93 tune has 11 revisions because we were working for the first 11 second 93 pass.

OP
Golec

Golec

Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Yep, here's the truth- you're curious whether an @ZFGracing baseline tune is the same as Joe-Bob's tune which is cheaper $. I can definitely see that if you want to save some money you can buy something else. If you thought for a moment, you'd see it will never be an apples-apples comparison. Just go buy whatever you can afford and are happy with. The question you should be asking is whether a custom tune that makes 440 whp on 93 on a completely stock ST is worth the extra money to you. Whatever baseline tune he's using is just to look for logging data to see where the limits are- as well as to accommodate those who've added other upgrades. If you've done no upgrades and don't plan to, buy a less expensive tune and enjoy it.
my 93 tune is already purchased..I’m asking because I was hoping for something more.

which is why I asked the original question, as to what the difference is going to be between the baseline and the final product.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
The baseline is not a “performance” tune at all. It is simply a standard set of parameters that the tuner(Adam) uses to see where your vehicle fits into his known tuning strategy. If he sent out his highest power tune the first time, you could pop the engine running a questionable fuel, etc.

Just follow the process and you will get the best result. The big power only comes from ethanol mixed fuel of around 50%.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I'm still trying to get rid of the trash 87 octane fuel the dealership put in my new 22 ST lol.... Haven't had the chance to drive it much, it's with the dealership now to tint the front windows, coat the undercarriage, 3M protective film and ceramic coating.

The RTD+ tuner gets delivered today and I'm also getting the ST back today as well. Can't wait to get started!

Cruising68

1000 Post Club
Reactions
what would be the fuel mix to make 93 im from socal only 91?
3 gallons of E85 and 9 gallons of 91 should get you pretty darn close to 93. I would use a tester for sure though. Too much risk getting it wrong.

Chaseg08

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
3 gallons of E85 and 9 gallons of 91 should get you pretty darn close to 93. I would use a tester for sure though. Too much risk getting it wrong.
ZFG has a great calculator that also shows the expected octane. Just make sure you enter the actual ethanol percentage at the pump. For example, the E85 pumps at my local gas station say "E85 (70% ethanol).
https://www.tunedbyzfgracing.com/ethanol-calculator

Reactions
The baseline tune isn’t for you to drive on…it’s to datalog so Adam can get a good idea of what YOUR car is doing so he can refine anything that needs refining and also dial in any preferences you have like shifting, etc.
My 93 tune has 11 revisions because we were working for the first 11 second 93 pass.
Just curious, did you ever make it to the 11 second 93 tune pass? I'm working toward a consistent 12.00-12.03 second 93 tune pass now.