Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ZFG Tune - RTD+ or MPVI2+?

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Hey everyone,

Planning on tuning the ST in the near future. I have never tuned a vehicle before and am having trouble understanding the difference between the two tuners that ZFG offers. I plan on doing an initial tune and 1-2 revisions. What can the MPVI2+ do that the RTD+ can't? What would be the use case for the more expensive one?

1660222111270.png

Appreciate y'all's help -- thanks in advance!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
bumping this thread because im in the same boat

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
If you’re not tuning it yourself, the RTD+ is your best option. It doesn’t require a laptop to install (flash) a tune to the vehicle.

The MPVI2+ costs more, but is a more capable device that requires a laptop. The only plus side of having the MPVI2+ is that you can do your own tuning if you desire.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
will the RTD allow me to set it up to see multiple parameters while im driving such as afr, oil pressure and boost?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
If you’re not tuning it yourself, the RTD+ is your best option. It doesn’t require a laptop to install (flash) a tune to the vehicle.

The MPVI2+ costs more, but is a more capable device that requires a laptop. The only plus side of having the MPVI2+ is that you can do your own tuning if you desire.
this is exactly how I know it also.
I am doing the RTD because I have apple products. Ive already tried tuning another car with my kids PC and it to slow and old,lol

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
will the RTD allow me to set it up to see multiple parameters while im driving such as afr, oil pressure and boost?
The RTD has no display screen. if that's what you are asking?

OP
butt_yodel

butt_yodel

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7

Phenomenal -- Looks like I'm getting the RTD+. Thanks

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Can you even get the MPVI2+ anymore? I see it sold out in many places since the MPVI3+ is opening for orders next month.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
No, neither device has a built-in display like a Cobb AP or similar device. Both the RTD and MPVI2 devices require a laptop to view live data.

The tuning device doesn’t need to be connected after flashing the tune to the vehicle. You can buy a really cheap $20 interface device and plug it into the OBD2 port to view tons of data on your phone display.

Google “mini elm327 interface“ and pick the one you want. They come with Bluetooth or wifi outputs I prefer the wifi output as it’s a much faster and more reliable connection. Pick the OBD app you want and view most every signal on the OBD bus. I like “Car Scanner Pro”.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer st
No, neither device has a built-in display like a Cobb AP or similar device. Both the RTD and MPVI2 devices require a laptop to view live data.

The tuning device doesn’t need to be connected after flashing the tune to the vehicle. You can buy a really cheap $20 interface device and plug it into the OBD2 port to view tons of data on your phone display.
I currently have an obd2 and run the torque app, but I'd like a standalone unit, also I'd like the ability to load multiple tunes

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I currently have an obd2 and run the torque app, but I'd like a standalone unit, also I'd like the ability to load multiple tunes
That’s gonna be tough for the 3.0EB TT. You may find a tuner the uses a device you can view and store multiple tunes, but I’m not aware of it. For sure Cobb isn’t supporting this platform (yet?). I’ve asked and they have no current plans to either.

The Dash Hawk was a great OBD viewer and the nGauge was ok, but they’re gone from the market. There may be something else with a display for viewing data, but I’m not aware.