Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ZFG Tune On The Way!

Reactions
I ordered the ZFG Racing 93 Octane tune. Should be here soon.

That being said, I have never ordered or installed a tune on any vehicle.

Can you guys who already have tunes tell me the level of complexity involved to install it? Is it a 30 minute install, 4 hours?!?! Do I need a computer science degree to figure it out? Do I need anything special other than the RTD+, like any cables or whatever?

Nbk4t5e

Reactions

Can you guys who already have tunes tell me the level of complexity involved to install it? Is it a 30 minute install, 4 hours?!?! Do I need a computer science degree to figure it out? Do I need anything special other than the RTD+, like any cables or whatever?
Have you downloaded the instruction off ZFG? First things first once you get your RTD in you need to pull your stock file for Adam. Loading files only take a few minutes.

Only need RTD and a windows laptop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Crisisballer17
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Have to downloaded the instruction off ZFG? First things first once you get your RTD in you need to pull your stock file for Adam. Loading files only take a few minutes.

Just downloaded the guide. I will review it tonight after work. Thank you!

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Just downloaded the guide. I will review it tonight after work. Thank you!
Side note.

Just make sure you have a good Wi-Fi connection. Do not use your Ford Wi-Fi because at the end of each upload, Engine will shut off and reboot the ECU. If connected to the ford WI-FI it will disconnect and the file will fail.

OP
Crisisballer17
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Side note.

Just make sure you have a good Wi-Fi connection. Do not use your Ford Wi-Fi because at the end of each upload, Engine will shut off and reboot the ECU. If connected to the ford WI-FI it will disconnect and the file will fail.

Thank you! I have a pretty solid wifi connection at home so, should be good to go.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Yeah I made that mistake at a gas station when I switched to E 50. my personal hotspot was acting up also.

Reactions
you can also use the TDN app on your phone, super easy to use. I had a laptop with hp tuners installed but in my opinion the TDN app was easier.

Jwbreeding

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Reactions
Very nice! I'm waiting to install my Fenfabrication downpipes and then ordering the tune.

Reactions

Just wondering how long did it take for the RTD etc from ZFG take to hit your door?

Reactions
I just ordered as well! I know Adam is busy but I find communication is pretty delayed on their end.

That said, my wife drives the vehicle mainly, and would likely prefer not to have the tune enabled. Is it easy enough to 'disable/enable' it when needed?

Radguy

Doctor
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring
Have you downloaded the instruction off ZFG? First things first once you get your RTD in you need to pull your stock file for Adam. Loading files only take a few minutes.

I was under the impression that you could do all of that with an iPhone as well. I eventually want to get a ZFG tune for my vehicle but I don't have a windows laptop.

Reactions
I was under the impression that you could do all of that with an iPhone as well. I eventually want to get a ZFG tune for my vehicle but I don't have a windows laptop.
Just get the RTD+ and you’ll be good to go.

OP
Crisisballer17
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Just wondering how long did it take for the RTD etc from ZFG take to hit your door?
My apologies. I've been out racing this weekend. When I ordered my ZFG Racing tune and RTD+, I want to say it took about a week or so, maybe a tad longer. It really depends on if ZFG has any RTD+ on hand or if they're backordered. The baseline tune itself (and all subsequent revisions) is delivered via email, once you log and send factory settings. There are pretty clear instructions on ZFG's website to help with this. And ZFG Racing President Adam is extremely helpful as well, just have a bit of patience as, he is very busy with many customers. If his business continues to grow at the pace it is, he may need to make some future personnel decisions to help, but that's completely up to him. I have personally had very good experience working with ZFG and Adam. I hope this helps.

OP
Crisisballer17
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
I bought a super el cheapo and tiny HP laptop, brand new for $200 at Best Buy, to use specifically for tuning my ST. It works well and I actually prefer it over the bluetooth option now.

OP
Crisisballer17
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
Just get the RTD+ and you’ll be good to go.

I have an RTD+ and initially began using the bluetooth option for tuning. Apparently there is a syncing issue between my RTD+ and my vehicle (I started working with HP Tuners tech support to resolve this and haven't followed up since the laptop works so good), so I ended up buying a cheap laptop to use for tuning and now I prefer this way.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I have an RTD+ and initially began using the bluetooth option for tuning. Apparently there is a syncing issue between my RTD+ and my vehicle (I started working with HP Tuners tech support to resolve this and haven't followed up since the laptop works so good), so I ended up buying a cheap laptop to use for tuning and now I prefer this way.
Strange, I had zero issues logging and applying the tune to my 22 ST using TDN.