Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ZFG Stage 1?

Reactions
I check in every couple days and just noticed ZFG is now offering a Stage Kit that saves a couple bucks over buying everything separate. They have three intercooler options available. I have only looked into Whipple and I know there are some write ups on the others. Anybody go with a stage 1 kit yet or have any input on intercooler preference? Thanks let me know what you think.(y)

Attachments

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
If you're getting the tune at the same time, this looks like a nice bundle to save $100. :LOL:

For the intercoolers, Whipple is proven. We all know the Whipple name and their supercharger and intercooler quality. It was out early and a lot of people have it and love it. No issues I've heard of short of install/operator error.

Mishimoto looks nice, but it's new so not many reviews. You will find some good and some bad reviews of their products. Similar price as Whipple.

CVFab is also new. It's about $150-200 cheaper than Whipple and Mishimoto. Adam from ZFG posted some data on Facebook and seems to like it. This is what I'll be ordering shortly as I like saving money, and the experience I have with CVFab products has been great (buddy's Ecoboost Mustang and F150s have CVFab intercoolers and charge pipes).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
STupidExplorer
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
If you're getting the tune at the same time, this looks like a nice bundle to save $100. :LOL:

For the intercoolers, Whipple is proven. We all know the Whipple name and their supercharger and intercooler quality. It was out early and a lot of people have it and love it. No issues I've heard of short of install/operator error.

Mishimoto looks nice, but it's new so not many reviews. You will find some good and some bad reviews of their products. Similar price as Whipple.

CVFab is also new. It's about $150-200 cheaper than Whipple and Mishimoto. Adam from ZFG posted some data on Facebook and seems to like it. This is what I'll be ordering shortly as I like saving money, and the experience I have with CVFab products has been great (buddy's Ecoboost Mustang and F150s have CVFab intercoolers and charge pipes).
Awesome I was leaning towards Whipple the only Mishimoto products I've had any experience with was there catch cans and it was a good product. Thanks for the input. (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If it were me- I'd go with the cheapest variation since the choice is really about the intercooler. An intercooler isn't going to add any horsepower to your ride, it will only keep your horsepower more consistent. Assuming the pressure drop is similar across the three options (a higher pressure drop can negatively affect horsepower) taking the cheaper route is probably best. We can argue about construction quality (end tanks), heat dissipation (fin count, size, materials) and thermal mass (weight), but in the end, it's probably not going to amount to anything significant. The Whipple is definitely a known quantity, and if the extra money isn't a big deal, you're not going to go wrong with that option.

Reactions
Skip the mish, I’m not going to bash them but they never made very good intercoolers in the past from experience. The whipple is tried and true and an excellent company. Cv looks promising so if you want the savings go cv all the way. Adam did a write up and seems to like it and the few people who posted seemed to like it.

OP
STupidExplorer
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Skip the mish, I’m not going to bash them but they never made very good intercoolers in the past from experience. The whipple is tried and true and an excellent company. Cv looks promising so if you want the savings go cv all the way. Adam did a write up and seems to like it and the few people who posted seemed to like it.
Honestly the black CV is probably my option. I have the funds to pull the trigger but I don't have the time set aside to get into that intercooler install. I'm the type that has a lot of extra washers and bolts when I'm done lol. May have my father in-law help he has a full shop set up with a lift and oil pitt.

Last edited: