Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ZFG DMS TDN Tuning Hiccup

Excalibur

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
2023 ST (1800 miles)

I finally got this round of mods completed and it's now time to throw a proper tune on the car.
Mod list as follows:
S&B Intake
Whoosh Catted DPs
3" Thermal Exhaust
CVF Intercooler
Mishimoto catch can

Went with ZFG DMS 93 octane tune obviously based on the solid reputation.
However, I ran into a bit of a hiccup, as follows:
Battery charger was applied prior to any loading.
Loaded 93 DMS Baseline file
No errors during the process, and all prompts followed
Confirmed VIN is correct in the tune file naming convention

After the baseline file load was completed, I decided to give it quick drive.
No DTCs at all; however, the car is running in what feels like limp mode and no un-commanded shifting occurs (shifts only when selected via paddles).
This happens regardless of what mode I have the car in. We're talking pedal all the way down and can barely make it up the driveway.

So I think "perhaps the file had an issue during that process that didn't display itself during the process and this is also first time I've used the TDN/WIFI"
I reload the tune once again to see if it would remedy the issue to no avail.

I decided from here that it would probably be best to return to the stock file and see if the problem seems to be tune dependent.
Stock file loaded and runs/feels just fine and again with no DTCs.

I created a revision ticket with ZFG and confirmed my course of action as appropriate with their customer service.

What I'm wondering is, has anyone else had something similar occur? If so, what was it ultimately and the solution?
Is there something that stands out that I should have verified or possibly didn't do during the process?

I'm hoping it's something simple, as logically I would think it has to be the tune file.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
2023 ST (1800 miles)

I finally got this round of mods completed and it's now time to throw a proper tune on the car.
Mod list as follows:
S&B Intake
Whoosh Catted DPs
3" Thermal Exhaust
CVF Intercooler
Mishimoto catch can

No DTCs at all; however, the car is running in what feels like limp mode and no un-commanded shifting occurs (shifts only when selected via paddles).
This happens regardless of what mode I have the car in. We're talking pedal all the way down and can barely make it up the driveway.

So I think "perhaps the file had an issue during that process that didn't display itself during the process and this is also first time I've used the TDN/WIFI"

I decided from here that it would probably be best to return to the stock file and see if the problem seems to be tune dependent.

I created a revision ticket with ZFG and confirmed my course of action as appropriate with their customer service.

What I'm wondering is, has anyone else had something similar occur? If so, what was it ultimately and the solution?
Is there something that stands out that I should have verified or possibly didn't do during the process?

I'm hoping it's something simple, as logically I would think it has to be the tune file.
I didn't have any issues and don't recall reading anyone else having the issue you described. You did the right thing about contacting ZFG.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
2023 ST (1800 miles)

Mod list as follows:
S&B Intake
Whoosh Catted DPs
3" Thermal Exhaust
CVF Intercooler
Mishimoto catch can

Hey, I have a question for you. So I wanted to put on the S&Bintake, along with the CVF intercooler. I already have the Thermal 3in. Did you notice a difference right away when you installed those before the tune? I really want to go ahead and purchase them just trying to get some insight.
Thanks,

OP
Excalibur

Excalibur

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Hey, I have a question for you. So I wanted to put on the S&Bintake, along with the CVF intercooler. I already have the Thermal 3in. Did you notice a difference right away when you installed those before the tune? I really want to go ahead and purchase them just trying to get some insight.
Thanks,
To be honest, I have completely avoided going WOT without a tune. Could just me being paranoid, but I prefer to have a proper tune on the car before testing. It does somehow feel a tad more responsive in the throttle just driving normal, but take that for what it is. Keep in mind, I also have the downpipes so, not really apples to apples even if I were to go wot.

Does anyone think it would matter that I had my driver's door open and windows down during the tuning? I'm not sure if that would matter or not.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
Thanks for the
To be honest, I have completely avoided going WOT without a tune. Could just me being paranoid, but I prefer to have a proper tune on the car before testing. It does somehow feel a tad more responsive in the throttle just driving normal, but take that for what it is. Keep in mind, I also have the downpipes so, not really apples to apples even if I were to go wot.

Does anyone think it would matter that I had my driver's door open and windows down during the tuning? I'm not sure if that would matter or not.
Thanks for the response. I looked at ZFG for tuning and have heard nothing but positive feedback. The only reason I am not going to use them is because I don't like the fact everything is done with email. I like to be able to call and ask questions. Sometimes email doesn't work the way I want to say things, lol.
Having your windows down should not have any effect on that tune.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

I had my drivers door open the whole time doing mine and didn't have any issues.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thanks for the

Thanks for the response. I looked at ZFG for tuning and have heard nothing but positive feedback. The only reason I am not going to use them is because I don't like the fact everything is done with email. I like to be able to call and ask questions. Sometimes email doesn't work the way I want to say things, lol.
Having your windows down should not have any effect on that tune.
I had comms issues with ZFG so I went back to my PBD tune, which I like better anyway, just my perspective. PBD has a 'real' support system with ticketing, email, phone support. I've only used it a few times but PBD has always been very responsive. ZFG never responded. Your experience may vary, of course.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ford explorer st
I had comms issues with ZFG so I went back to my PBD tune, which I like better anyway, just my perspective. PBD has a 'real' support system with ticketing, email, phone support. I've only used it a few times but PBD has always been very responsive. ZFG never responded. Your experience may vary, of course.
That's the tune im going to get. When I spoke to them they basically said each mode is basically sport mode? You haven't had any issues with PBD?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The modes stay the same. PBD has been great - easy to work with and responsive. I am happy I bought ZFG because now I have something to compare to. I started with PBD, went to ZFG and ran that for a few months, then back to the PBD tune and staying there. Just my perspective.

Last edited:

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST

Doors and widows “shouldn’t affect the tune load/flash unless the battery voltage fluctuates. I recommend do NOT open or close doors or windows during the process as any voltage bump CAN affect the flash process if the battery isn’t fully charged.

Your issue may be the tune file initial load to the phone app. If you don’t have a strong wifi and allow plenty of time for the processes to complete, it can corrupt the tune file itself.

I recommend start over and download the file from the TDN server again.

ZFG will likely reload it to the server as his first step as well.

OP
Excalibur

Excalibur

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
Doors and widows “shouldn’t affect the tune load/flash unless the battery voltage fluctuates. I recommend do NOT open or close doors or windows during the process as any voltage bump CAN affect the flash process if the battery isn’t fully charged.

Your issue may be the tune file initial load to the phone app. If you don’t have a strong wifi and allow plenty of time for the processes to complete, it can corrupt the tune file itself.

I recommend start over and download the file from the TDN server again.

ZFG will likely reload it to the server as his first step as well.
How do you go about downloading the file again from the server? The file was added by zfg initially.

As far as PBD, I’m not here to bash them but after 2 Mustangs and them never getting the trans to shift correctly along with similar results from everyone else in my location, I will say that’s a hard no for me. They did try to rectify the situations in all fairness but who has months to try to get it correct?

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
How do you go about downloading the file again from the server? The file was added by zfg initially.

As far as PBD, I’m not here to bash them but after 2 Mustangs and them never getting the trans to shift correctly along with similar results from everyone else in my location, I will say that’s a hard no for me. They did try to rectify the situations in all fairness but who has months to try to get it correct?
ZFG loads the file to your account in the TDN network and sends you a notice in your TDN app and your email. Then you sync your app to the TDN and your file is connected to your app. You can “resync” your TDN app and the files should be checked and updated. All the instructions should have been included with your TDN device. If not, you can go to the HPTuners web site and check it out. All said however, Adam(ZFG) will eventually respond to your request. Don’t keep sending more emails or otherwise though. If he doesn’t respond right away, then he is busy with something. You’ll get your turn.

Reactions
Never has this happen but if you want to try to start fresh, in the TDN App settings with your RTD plugged into a usb power source or the ODBII port and solid internet connection (cellular or Wifi doesn’t matter) do this:

1. Resync credits
  2. Update resource files
  3. Update RTD+ Firmware
  4. Update the RTD Bluetooth firmware
  5. Erase File Sync Data
  6. Go to the flash section in TDN app and then sync files with the RTD (this will take some time)
  7. Try reflashing the tune once everything is complete.

OP
Excalibur

Excalibur

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #14
Thanks for the tips. Adam rewrote the baseline file and it worked this time around. Just received my second revision this morning.