Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ZFG Auto Octane MPG

CornFarmer

Reactions
Vehicle
Volvo XC 60
For those of you with the ZFG Auto Octane have you noticed a drop in MPG? Really considering the tune but the ST is my wife's daily driver. Don't want weird shifting or worse MPG than stock. I can't imagine it being much different, as all the diesel trucks I have tuned only get equal or better MPG.

Appreciate any info. Thanks.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Your mpg will be 100% dependent on your driving style.

OP
C

CornFarmer

Reactions
Vehicle
Volvo XC 60
Thread Starter #3
Ya think?

Assuming the same driving habits are we looking at a increase or decrease that is my question.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
A tune doesn't impact part-throttle mileage. The ECU compensates in part-throttle operation for both air/fuel ratio and timing. So, as @UNBROKEN posted, it's dependent on your driving.

Reactions
Unbroken and TMac are on point. I've run the ZFG Auto Octane Tune for about 6 months. Typical driving. A lot of city driving, Two trips to Washington DC, few runs on the Blueriidge kind of thing Shortly after tune instal mileage went down about 2 mpg, totally on me. Checking out the new found HP and having fun. Now that the newness has worn off, mileage is where it was before. Around town or on a trip you will never know it's tuned. TMac's turbo thread noted this platform mostly lives below 2,000 rpm. At that level, shifting is smooth as silk, much better than stock for both upshifts and down shifts. The noticeable difference is when you either leave it in normal mode or sport mode and get aggressive with the go peddle. At that point, plan your moves well in advance....and hang on!

OP
C
Reactions
Vehicle
Volvo XC 60
Thread Starter #6
Okay so is the ZFG auto octane worth it over the ford tune?

Reactions
Can't comment on the Ford tune, never used it and don't personally know anyone that has. All I can say is I'm happy with the ZFG tune.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Twice the power for the same money, the ability to log, make changes and dial in the tune for future mods and your preferences plus actual customer service….what do you think?

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Twice the power for the same money, the ability to log, make changes and dial in the tune for future mods and your preferences plus actual customer service….what do you think?
Last time I looked it’s not quite twice the power nor is it the same money. The warranty is the biggest thing. If you don’t care about that, definitely go zfg.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Last time I looked it’s not quite twice the power nor is it the same money. The warranty is the biggest thing. If you don’t care about that, definitely go zfg.
Close enough and the “warranty” is laughable at best…especially for anyone with some miles already on their car.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Close enough and the “warranty” is laughable at best…especially for anyone with some miles already on their car.
I agree if you’re close to being out of the bumper to bumper warranty, it’s a moot point. But otherwise not sure what is laughable about a warranty. But whatever you think.

Reactions
This!!!!

@CornFarmer There are a lot of variables that play in to fuel economy. Do you warm your car up for a few minutes in the cold weather? Do you have a lot of stop-and-go traffic to deal with? Hills? I think many people often see a drop in MPG after any mod because they want to see the performance improvement and they drive more aggressive than normal. I get 22+ MPG with wife and son in the car and me driving 10-15 mph over on highway drives. I also have a heavy foot on onramps. I bet I could get 24 or more, but that is no fun.

Explorer ST Posts