Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ZFG AO + Intercooler Gains?

Reactions
Vehicle
Volvo XC 60
Adding likely a CVF intercooler (possibly Steeda or Whipple) and interested in the DMS ZFG tunes. How much more power can I expect on an auto octane tune? Texted ZFG and no response. Wanting to get this all ordered and coming soon. I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Search and you shall find. It’s discussed often.

OP
C
Reactions
Vehicle
Volvo XC 60
Thread Starter #3
Unfortunately I can't find an answer, how quick are the tunes to install and uninstall? I would go with a 93 if it is quick to install and uninstall but I don't want to be forced to run with 91 or 93 fuel. Also can anyone comment on the shifting of ZFG tunes? Is it comfortable if just daily driving like stock? My wife won't be happy if every shift is a slam. Thanks

Reactions
Just type in ZFG tune in the search bar. 10 pages of stuff will pop up. Remember the IC by itself will not add any power, however it will allow for more aggressive tunes and make it easier on the engine when tuned and get the most out of the tune. Go to ZFG Racing on the internet. One last thing, this is a custom tune, depending on what you ask for, your tune will be different from mine. I asked them for 400hp to the wheels, Adam gave me 407 with the auto octane tune. While that only represents 50-70 hp over stock, the difference is amazing. As far as shifting, much smoother than stock because the tune programming adjusts the transmission for more precise shifting.

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Adding likely a CVF intercooler (possibly Steeda or Whipple) and interested in the DMS ZFG tunes. How much more power can I expect on an auto octane tune? Texted ZFG and no response. Wanting to get this all ordered and coming soon. I would appreciate any input. Thanks.
Try his email, adam@tunedbyzfgracing.com. @ZFGracing stated a week or so ago he was adding someone to check messages. I have always received a timely responce.

OP
C
Reactions
Vehicle
Volvo XC 60
Thread Starter #6
Gearhead seems to get pretty good reviews and looks like it may be a cheaper option for their AO + E50 tune. I'm guessing easier install too, I'm a novice and may end up going this route unless someone can talk me out of it.

Reactions
Gearhead seems to get pretty good reviews and looks like it may be a cheaper option for their AO + E50 tune. I'm guessing easier install too, I'm a novice and may end up going this route unless someone can talk me out of it.
Good things have been said about Gearhead in this forum. I have no first hand experience with them or the install. From an install perspective ZFG is a snap. I use my phone. Adam recommended I flash back to baseline when towing. Sence I've reflashed many times I guess I've mastered it. I'm almost officially geezer class so I assure you I'm no IT Ninja. Important thing is you're happy with your decision. Makes it even more fun. Enjoy the research, it's just part of the ride

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Good things have been said about Gearhead in this forum. I have no first hand experience with them or the install. From an install perspective ZFG is a snap. I use my phone. Adam recommended I flash back to baseline when towing. Sence I've reflashed many times I guess I've mastered it.
Mwinn why don't you go DMS and then it's a turn of the mode selector when towing

Last edited:
Reactions
Mwinn why don't you go DMS and then it's a turn of the mode selector when towing
Wasn't available when I decided to tune. Thought about upgrading but I feel the tune I have is dialed into the sweet spot so I decided to leave it alone. I tow a 20' ski boat a couple of times a month during the summer so flashing when needed is not a big thing.