Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Wireless charger continuous malfunction

Copper2020

U.S. Navy Veteran
Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Have had my 2020 ST (B&O) for a couple weeks and the wireless charger is having issues. I place my iPhone on the pad and it will disconnect charging with the error message on the screen informing me wireless charging has suspended do to misalignment and the phone hasn’t moved. I’ll hit OK on the screen and charging resumes. In a 5 minute span, this happens probably 5 times. Pretty annoying due to the onscreen message you have to click for it to go away. I’ve tried moving the phone to the left of right to see if it’s a placement issue and no matter where I place the phone on the charging pad, this happens. Is this a known issue?

kair350

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
My 2019 Edge ST (which i traded in for an 22 Explorer ST in Nov) wouldn’t charge my iPhones after Gen 10. It is a known issue If you do a search. My new Explorer charging pad is to small for my 13 Pro Max didn’t confront me because I knew it it wouldn’t work anyway. Same not aligned messages. Tried without phone case and every position.

Last edited:

Hassa

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
There’s an update that might fix this issue. Tell the dealer you’re having issues with charging the newer iPhones. They’ll apply an update to the WACM module in FDRS.

kair350

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
After some research the charging issue is due to the camera being raised on the back of the newer generation iphones (camera bump). If it doesn’t lay flat and it won’t you'll continue to get the not aligned messages. So the size of the charger is a Ford issue, the not charging an iphone issue.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I had not tried the wireless charging until a couple of days ago. While it worked without errors for my Galaxy S22, the charging speed was glacial. The phone was on, not being used and it gained about 6% charge in an hour.

I thought that something must be wrong, but some searching the forum got the answer that the charger is very low power.

If it doesn't work at all for you you're not missing much.

kair350

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
When my iPhone 12 Pro Max would would not charge (Stay Aligned) in my 2019 Edge ST I traded it in on a Galaxy. The Galaxy would charge but as you observed painfully slowly, basically it didn’t lose any charge. I didn't care for an android so traded it for an iPhone 13 Pro. Back to the original not aligned every minute or so. Got the Explorer ST same issue. Almost got an iPhone 14 Pro last week but while researching it read about the “Camera Bump” issue being responsible for the charging pad issues.

kair350

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Apple did something to fix the issue. Took a chance and bought the iPhone 14 Pro (not Max) Wanted a smaller phone. Tried the charger today 2 20 mile trips. Phone charged from 69 to 74 on first trip. Did not get hot. Charged from 74 to 81 second trip. Did not get hot. Otter box case on phone.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Apple did something to fix the issue. Took a chance and bought the iPhone 14 Pro (not Max) Wanted a smaller phone. Tried the charger today 2 20 mile trips. Phone charged from 69 to 74 on first trip. Did not get hot. Charged from 74 to 81 second trip. Did not get hot. Otter box case on phone.
My 14 pro is still awful at charging.

Zim

Reactions
Sucks at charging anyways. Use a fast charger. lol

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I think the issue actually has to do with the case - I have a 13 Pro (not Max) and when I had a non magsafe case on it, I think it was charging just fine. Once I put the magsafe case on it, I started getting the misalignment error message. I'll double check tomorrow by trying to charge the phone without the case on it.

Reactions
Dealers have a bulletin on how to flash/reprogram the wireless charging pad for MagSafe enabled phones (iPhone 12, 13, & 14). Had my 2021 Explorer in for the recalls and mentioned the wireless charging errors. They looked it up and fixed it. My iPhome 12 Pro charges perfectly now with no more ‘alignment’ errors. (I have a MagSafe case on my phone as well).

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Dealers have a bulletin on how to flash/reprogram the wireless charging pad for MagSafe enabled phones (iPhone 12, 13, & 14). Had my 2021 Explorer in for the recalls and mentioned the wireless charging errors. They looked it up and fixed it. My iPhome 12 Pro charges perfectly now with no more ‘alignment’ errors. (I have a MagSafe case on my phone as well).
Interesting. Thanks for the info. Do you have bulletin number for that?

Reactions
I’m sorry I don’t, just mention troubles charging iPhone 13 or newer with MagSafe charging. That should be enough for them to look it up. Mine is still working great with no issues. iPhone 13 Pro with a spigen MagSafe case on it.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Ford Explorer ST 401A Pkg White Met Tri-Coat
When I had my '21 F150 Powerboost, they had the same problem. There was actually a service update. Still, same crap. I tried it with no phone case, with, etc. Still seemed to get out of alignment...
I decided to use my own magsafe charger. If you are lucky to have one that works, well hoorah. But don't burn your brain cells if it doesn't.

Hassa

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 22-2485 - Released December 12, 2022
Wireless Accessory Charger Inoperative/Poor Performance With Magsafe Charging iPhones

Model:
Ford
2021-2022 Bronco
2021-2022 Bronco Sport
2021-2022 Escape
2020-2021 Expedition
2020-2022 Explorer
2021-2022 F-150
2020-2022 F-Super Duty
2022 Maverick
Lincoln
2021-2022 Corsair
2020-2021 Navigator

Issue: Some 2020-2021 Expedition/Navigator, 2020-2022 F Super Duty/Explorer, 2021-2022 Bronco/Corsair/Escape/Bronco Sport, 2022 Maverick vehicles may exhibit the wireless charger inoperative or poor performance when using some Apple™ iPhone models that use MagSafe wireless charging including iPhone 12 and 13. This may be due to limited compatibility with the wireless accessory charging module (WACM). To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to update the WACM.

NOTE: The WACM software is designed to improve the compatibility between some Apple™ MagSafe charging iPhones, including iPhone 12 and 13 models, and the Ford Qi wireless charging module.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• One of the following vehicles:
- 2021-2022 Bronco
- 2021-2022 Bronco Sport
- 2021-2022 Corsair
- 2021-2022 Escape
- 2020-2021 Expedition
- 2020-2022 Explorer
- 2021-2022 F-150
- 2020-2022 F-Super Duty
- 2022 Maverick
- 2020-2021 Navigator

• Wireless accessory charger inoperative or poor performance with Apple™ Magsafe charging iPhones including iPhone 12 and 13 models

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

Labor Times

DescriptionOperation No.Time
Reprogram The WACM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
222485A
0.3 Hrs.
Repair/Claim Coding

Causal Part:19J235 Condition Code:04

Service Procedure

1. Connect a battery charger to the 12-volt battery.

NOTE: To prevent the battery saver mode from activating on the vehicle, make sure the negative cable of the charger is installed on a chassis or engine ground, and not the 12-volt battery negative terminal. Do not have the vehicle plugged into the high voltage battery charger during programming. This can cause incorrect module programming. Make sure only the 12-volt battery charger is installed.

2. Reprogram the WACM using the latest software level of the Ford Diagnostic and Repair System (FDRS).

© 2022 Ford Motor Company

All rights reserved.

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supersede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thanks for posting. Would like to have it done but hate to bring in my ST only for them to screw something else up.

Hassa

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Did this on my ST and it went perfectly. It’s a common issue on all Ford cars with wireless charging pads. I did the same TSB on my Mach E

st8

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Did this on my ST and it went perfectly. It’s a common issue on all Ford cars with wireless charging pads. I did the same TSB on my Mach E
Did you wait for it or did you drop off?

Hassa

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
You could wait for it. It's about 3-5 min for them to update it on FDRS. The TSB pays the dealer for 18min, so it will certainly not take any longer than that!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer Platinum
Just had this TSB done and wireless charging fault still happening on my 2020; my phone is the iPhone 14 pro-max.

Not a big deal, but would be nice for it to work.