Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Winter Tires and Rims

Decker90

Reactions
What is everyone running in the winter? Do you keep your stock rims and all season tires or do you have a set of winter tires and rims?
Thanks

Reactions
Im thinking about getting a set of the police interceptor steel wheels for the winter.

Reactions
I'm going to go with police interceptor rims.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

OP
Decker90

Decker90

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Nice are you going with 18”?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
the price you canucks can get the police interceptor rims makes it an easy choice. just make sure it's for 2020--older explorer rims wont fit due to wheel center bore.

OP
Decker90

Decker90

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
My local dealership quoted me for set of 18” steel rims, with sensors and Michelin X Ice Snow tire for $1919. Which is a pretty good deal I think anyway.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Just mounted and balanced my winter setup so they're ready to go when needed this year..went with 20" for winter.

Attachments

Reactions
Just mounted and balanced my winter setup so they're ready to go when needed this year..went with 20" for winter.
are these xl rated? i'm having a bitch of a time finding xl , speed ratings for this car

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
are these xl rated? i'm having a bitch of a time finding xl , speed ratings for this car
They are a XL load rating, which is different then the speed rating. The speed rating is lower than the stock at 118mph, but we just don't go that fast in winter :sneaky:

Reactions
My local dealership quoted me for set of 18” steel rims, with sensors and Michelin X Ice Snow tire for $1919. Which is a pretty good deal I think anyway.
My dealership just quoted me over 2k just for the rims and sensors...

Hook me up with your people

AAAAAAA

Reactions
I have 2 sets of 18" rims, they have the right bolt pattern (5x114.3). The tires on them aren't the right size buthhow can I tell if the rims fit or not? Bolt them on and listen for rubbing sounds?

OP
Decker90

Decker90

Reactions
Thread Starter #12
My dealership just quoted me over 2k just for the rims and sensors...

Hook me up with your people
Oh wow really $2000 just for rims and sensors? What kind of rims? My quote was for the interceptor rims, so just your basic steel rims that comes on police vehicles.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Oh wow really $2000 just for rims and sensors? What kind of rims? My quote was for the interceptor rims, so just your basic steel rims that comes on police vehicles.
In the States, the interceptor rims are $300+ for some reason. Add sensors, wheel caps and you've got your $2000.

OP
Decker90

Decker90

Reactions
Thread Starter #14
I’m very surprised. Usually everything in Canada is more expensive than the States

Reactions
Yep, 18" steel interceptor rims, just over 2k for 4 and sensors, did not even include the tires.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Maybe it is economy of scale. Maybe the number of interceptor rims that are sold for winter rims in Canada is much much higher given the climate and mandates for winter tires.

Reactions
Could be that they are manufactured in Canada...

Roots

Reactions
Last winter I added 20 inch Fast Rims FC04 and Blizzaks on my new toy for Montreal winter. I also run Blizzaks on my 2019 Sport and they work well. Good bang for the buck imo.

Reactions
2020 Interceptor Utility 18” steel wheels in the USA are anywhere from $300-400+ each wheel. Does not include the price of the special lug nuts and Chrome center caps or TPMS sensors. If you want this setup your best bet is to source them in used but good condition. I would never spend that dealer markup price they are asking for them brand new. After all, they are just steel wheels.

OEM part numbers 2020 Interceptor Utility Wheels​

Wheels: LB5Z-1015-B
Lug nuts: ACPZ-1012-N
Center cap: DG1Z-1130-B

Last edited:
Reactions
2020 Interceptor Utility 18” steel wheels in the USA are anywhere from $300-400+ each wheel. Does not include the price of the special lug nuts and Chrome center caps or TPMS sensors. If you want this setup your best bet is to source them in used but good condition. I would never spend that dealer markup price they are asking for them brand new. After all, they are just steel wheels.

Here are the part numbers for anyone needing them

Wheels: LB5Z-1015-B
Lug nuts: ACPZ-1012-N
Center cap: DG1Z-1130-B
Ebay usually has pretty good prices on used steelies