Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Winter Tires 21” Street Pac

pryan

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
I apologize if there is a thread I haven’t located on this topic. I have a 2021 with the 21” rims. I’m going to keep them for winter and not buy new, just winter tires. I’m finding few options. Mostly Pirelli Scorpion Winter and Nokias Hakkas. Any recommendations from those with some experience?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
It's so subjective that only under some rigorous testing could anyone answer your question. Subjectively though, I had Hakkapeliitta snow tires for two winters on an '06 STi in North Friggin' Dakota. If I still lived there, I'd buy 'em again.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I apologize if there is a thread I haven’t located on this topic. I have a 2021 with the 21” rims. I’m going to keep them for winter and not buy new, just winter tires. I’m finding few options. Mostly Pirelli Scorpion Winter and Nokias Hakkas. Any recommendations from those with some experience?
I have no experience with them, but I did a LOT of research, and Bridgestone DM-V2 Blizzaks are the best.

Reactions
I have no experience with them, but I did a LOT of research, and Bridgestone DM-V2 Blizzaks are the best.
I disagree, nothing beats a studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta. We have them on our vehicles here in Northern Ontario. They turn a front wheel drive van into a 4X4 and a 4X4 into a snow beast.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Although it's not common knowledge, Nokian actually builds certain Bridgestone winter tires in Finland and US. Understand that (at least for US studless tires), the US market is different than the market in Finland. If you want a decent tire for occasional winter use- not much snow, not much ice, you care about noise, treadlife, etc. then most of the "winter tires" will probably fit the bill. If you only care about traction on ice and snow, especially if you spend entire 4 month winters with snow and ice covered dirt roads, then the Hakkas are about as good as it gets.

OP
pryan

pryan

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #6
I’m in NH. Don’t travel on dirt roads much but the amount of ice/snow depends on the winter. I need to be where I need to be so I want something that I can count on.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m in NH. Don’t travel on dirt roads much but the amount of ice/snow depends on the winter. I need to be where I need to be so I want something that I can count on.
You can't go wrong with either of the two you mentioned in your first post. And, I'm sure you're aware, if you get 3 feet of snow, there is no tire on earth that will make a difference!

Reactions
You can't go wrong with either of the two you mentioned in your first post. And, I'm sure you're aware, if you get 3 feet of snow, there is no tire on earth that will make a difference!
Unless you are driving a snow beast. Sorry, I mean a snowmobile.

OP
pryan

pryan

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #9
If we get three feet of snow I’m pretty sure I’m not going anywhere anyway!!

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Definitely the Hakka’s. I just installed the new generation R5 but with 20” rims. 21’s OEM will be for spring and summer only.

Attachments

OP
pryan

pryan

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up going with the Hakkas for the piece of mind. Paying a lot more but I suppose if they make me more comfortable then they are worth it.

GHB66

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST with ST Street Pack
Definitely the Hakka’s. I just installed the new generation R5 but with 20” rims. 21’s OEM will be for spring and summer only.
Can you share the specs on the 20" RTX wheels that you bought for your ST? I have a 2020 ST / Street Pack and would like to get a set of 20" Wheels and tires that fit my Street Pack without spacers, etc. Thanks in advance!

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
The only info I really have on the wheels is the product code etc from Kal Tire. I never research these as my original intention was to get just plain steel winter wheels. The Kal Tire guy just showed me some pics of what would fit in black and I just happen to pick these. Kal Tire product code ( possible that it’s RTX code) AG1237816915 20 x 8 5114 gloss black TAG RTX V20 083053. That is the entire line on invoice of the wheel . Hope that helps .

GHB66

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST with ST Street Pack
Thanks! That helps.

OP
pryan

pryan

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #15
So I got the Hakkas and when I got home realized they came studded. I hadn’t really looked at the tire place. Now I need to decide if I’m going to keep them or gripe because they were specifically NOT supposed to be studded.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
The studs are hands down better on ice. Studs are tough on concrete and murder on epoxy garage floors.

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
So I got the Hakkas and when I got home realized they came studded. I hadn’t really looked at the tire place. Now I need to decide if I’m going to keep them or gripe because they were specifically NOT supposed to be studded.
I’ve had studded Hakkas two previous times before and with their new stud technology are excellent and much quieter than the typical studded tire. If you didn’t pay the extra 50 or so a tire I’d keep them. since You drove all the way home and didn’t notice I’d say they are ok noise wise. I only switched back to Hakkas non studded due to the fact I need winter tires on for 7 months of the year due to requirements on BC interior highways. In city I prefer non studded but mostly my wife prefers them

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I think you have the best possible winter tires one can buy. Coud be the difference between sliding past a stop sign or stopping safely.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm leaning toards slapping on a set of Pirelli Scorpion Winters on my OEM rims once this winter is over and run a new set of 22's for the summer and the OEM with winters for the other 5-6months

Reactions
Vehicle
Ford Explorer
Has anyone considered the new Pirelli Scorpion WeatherActive tire instead of a swap to winters and summers. I am getting set put on my 21's on Thursday but was hoping someone else had looked into them too.